Modify Stew Mac Fret Slotter Tool

dr.funk

Given the fact it simply screws together, I don't see any problem at all modding it so it will accept wider boards. Only think you would need to do is add a 'ridge' the same thickness as the templates so the slotting templates stay properly aligned laterally.

If your table saw's blade spins true, then there should be no problem. I use a crappy craftsman saw :D . Ideally you would use a machinist's dial indicator, but try putting a ruler up next to the table saw blade, then spin the blade with your hand and see if it wobbles. Even a crappy saw shouldn't have noticeable blade runout, but you never know.

It's really also about cost effectiveness; I don't have the space for a tablesaw (not even a lousy one, really), I only build a maximum of 4 instruments per year (to date, anyway...), and at less than 10 minutes per fingerboard, even in ebony, by hand, with a nice, sharp japanese handsaw, there's really very little be gained in terms of time.

Sure, a tablesaw will let you slot all 4 boards at once, practically, and within 3 minutes or so, but if it's cheap and nasty, there's the whole setup time to take into account, the making sure you've got everything lined up properly. The Stewmac setup, once assembled and once the guides are locked in place for your saw, only requires lining up the blank on the template, popping it in, and slotting away.

If I built more instruments, or had the space and use for a tablesaw, I'd use it.