Sanding Sealer Vs. Blush

I painted the back of my guitar body black using Duplicolor Truck/Van lacquer.

Once the paint had dried for about a week, I started spraying sanding sealer. I got a little blush, but after a couple days it went away. I started shooting again. As soon as the wet sanding sealer hit the body, the blush reappeared from before. I knew it was from before because I sprayed it left to right, this time I was spraying top to bottom.

No problem I thought, I have DA-DA-DA-DOMMM! blush remover. After letting the SS dry overnight, I hit it with blush remover. It brought out the blush, like the SS did before, but it didn't take it away. I shot it several more times and the blush was still there.

I hung the body up for a couple weeks thinking that it may go away, but I guess it didn't because last night my fiance asked me if I had painted the body dark blue. I must say it is a nice shade of midnight blue, but blue ain't black! Nice, even, non streaked... midnight blue.

This morning I started sanding. As I went along, I noticed spots where the paint was turning black again meaning, (to me at least), that I was getting the blush off of the paint by sanding it away. I stopped when my dust started going from white, to grey, to black. I knew I was in paint. I actually only hit it a couple small places with no sand throughs. It kind of looks like puffy midnight blue clouds on a black sky.

Now, for the question part of the post...

What should I do next?

Should I let it hang to see if the "clouds" go black?

Should I shoot blush remover on now?

Should I wait a couple days to see if it goes away by itself, and if not, shoot blush remover then?

I must add that all of my dust was dry with no rolls or signs of wetness.

I need some help here fellas.

B-rad in Akron

Just sand it smooth and reshoot your black again over top of your blush, that will take care of your present dilemma.

Now, you have to ask yourself why did it blush, and what will you do to prevent it from happening again, what will you do different next time.

Basically, I don't know why you're shooting sanding sealer over your colorcoat in the first place. Probably won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't do it that way. I would do sanding sealer, sand flat, shoot colorcoat, then clearcoats.

If you're using rattlers and shooting outside (just guessing) then try only shooting on low humidity days, shoot only from 10:00am to 4:00pm, and leave the piece outside for several hours after you shoot. Also, if you have control cavities and pot holes already done, tape over the pot holes from inside the control cavity...the air moving thru the pot holes can increase the odds of blushing, as the air passing thru dries the finish too quickly, thus creating blush around the pot hole area (if that's your problem anyway).

Proceeding this way will remove several blushing issues.

PS, the primary color component in most black paint is blue, black IS mostly blue with some other colors (orange I believe primarily).

The color Piano Black is 'blacker' than most typical black paints, and it contains more orange component in it to make it appear blacker than standard blacks. True fact.

PPS, Blush Eraser, if overused, will -permanently soften- your finish, it will never dry really hard, and Duplicolor is not the best finish for durability in the first place, so you're setting yourself up for a finish that will easily dent in the future...just a word to the wise...