Sliding Truss Rod

Hi, I have a maple strat style neck that I have'nt put on a guitar body yet, however when I was adjusting the truss rod it slipped back into the neck. When I tried to remove the hex key it was a lot of effort because it was stuck in fast, but finally when it did come out it pulled the truss rod up. It can move about 20mm up and down. Does anyone have any idea why this is and if it is a problen, where is the optimun place to have it, cheers, Will.

I should add, that the truss rod still seems to work, in that I have been able to adjust the neck relief quite well.

I had an idea that I could glue a piece of tubing into the hole for the truss rod, to stop it moving.

Thanks.

Edited by Guitar WIll

if it is a u channel or double acion rod, then it shouldnt be a problem as the truss rod bends itself, and forces the neck to bend, without using the neck for anything other than stopping it from twisting. if it is a traditional truss rod, then im stumped, but im pretty sure it isnt.

Obviously the slot for the truss rod has been cut too long and too deep by the sound of if it is moving back and forward/up down like that. It cant be a curved single action as it wouldn't work in that state so it is either aluminium channel type or Hotrod that hasn't been fitted correctly.

Is this a neck you have bought or you have made? I would be sending it back if you bought it.

I personally would be concerned if the truss rod is moving around like that. It should be locked in place and shouldn't move.

Ok, I have done a lot of research into the truss rod trouble. Firstly Southpa is right, i think that black labb is right that it is a doulbe action truss rod (does a compression rod fit this profile?) may even be two way bending rod. When it moves is when there is no tension at all. As soon as I tighten it up pressure is applied to the neck and it is held in place. I don't think that this is a problem. it may be that the channel has been cut too long, but it is not too deep.

When I loosened it off if I tapped the neck firmly I could hear it move, when I tightened it it didn't. I think that all it well, and that I could have played the neck without noticing it at all!

who did you get the neck off??

you might have a neck with a short truss rod in it and over time it may warp the neck

thse hotrods come in a few sizes

the day your neck was built they ran out of rods and put an accoustic rod [shorter] in your neck

i would send it back if i were you