Guitar Trouple

Sounds like fret buzz. Is it on the open strings or when fretted in a particular place.

If it has been ok previously it may need a minor truss rod adjustment to give it some curve (relief) in the neck. Changing seasons can affect the moisture takeup or loss in the neck making it expand slightly or shrink. So a minor adjustment probably quarter turn of the nut may be all that is needed.

Hard to say what is causing it without more information. Before you make any changes to the set up(given it has been playing well). Replace the strings, and while you are doing that check all the hardware screws to be sure they are snug and look over your nut, saddle and frets for signs of significant wear. There are a lot of possible causes. Try the simple fix first. If the problem is still present, then bring your findings from your inspection, take a couple pictures of the bridge, neck and so forth. Then you can do more investigating with a straight edge, and a couple little tests. Don't try to alter your neck, nut, saddle, truss, or anything else until you nail down the issue(it has been playing well and you don't want to create problems).

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

i dont know what yout guys get in a set-up but i would have done all those things as part of it. Although if it needed a bit of a fret level to cure it (depending what the problem was) that would not have been covered in a set-up and would cost a little more

i dont know what yout guys get in a set-up but i would have done all those things as part of it. Although if it needed a bit of a fret level to cure it (depending what the problem was) that would not have been covered in a set-up and would cost a little more

It is really hard to say what the problem is, but the basic user maintenance is the best place to start(bad strings can cause many a problem). A professional setup would be a good idea(plus a professional could isolate the problem if it has to do with the bridge, soundboard, loose bracing, top of the saddle and how the strings are breaking over it, saddle height, nut height, condition of the neck, frets, evaluate the neck angle and bridge, all the acoustic issues). If he is going to make repairs that go beyond the basic user type maintenance. He really needs to nail down what is happening, and isolate the problem before making any further adjustments or probably even better take it to a knowledgable pro(of course he is asking his question on a builders forum, so he may want to learn how to do the repairs).

its a good point fry, but the rum is talking an the curry is rumbling in my belly.

i feel i may be offering a bit too much in my basic set-ups anyway - really should be charging more for this stuff!!!

I am not sure what you offer in your setups, but I am sure it would be a bargain at triple your rates :D .