Black Limba Quandry

I recently purchased some beautiful black limba and I have a dilemma as to how I want to use it. Originally I purchased it with the intent of building a solid black limba body guitar. When it was delivered it came a full 1.5 inches thick so it seems wasteful to shave off all that extra thickness to get just one body out of it. I was thinking that maybe I should bandsaw it to 3/4 inch and use it as the backs of maple laminate PRS style guitars instead. Then I could get two bodies out of the same wood. My real dilemma is if it is a good idea to cut it in half. I have never built a PRS style guitar before and I don't know how thick the back needs to be before building.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Solid electric bodies are generally 1.75" thick, (thicker for carved tops, thinner for some guitars) but there's nothing etched in stone. You could resaw it and make tops and/or backs out of it, or use it as-is for a thin solid body, or put a quarter inch cap on it and make a 1.75" thick body, or any number of things. Whatever you feel will be the best use.

If it's a particularly nice piece, I might be tempted to make tops out of it by sawing the slab in half, then resawing the halves to make bookmatched sets (could probably get a couple sets out of each half). If it's a more average piece, I'd probably put a top on it and use it for a body.