Kill Switch For Les Paul Junior. Need Help Please!

Kemp Williams

Hey yall. Im trying to wire in an spst momentary switch on my guitar, but there are no diagrams showing how to wire one up on a guitar with no pickup selector. I have a epi les paul junior(a piece of crap, but its my baby) and it has one humbucker. it has only one volume and one tone knob and no pickup selector(duh). if anyone can help, i would love you forever. thanx much yall!

Kemp :D

i dont really know much about wiring though, is there a diagram somewhere i can look at? also, do i have to replace the tone knob, or can i just put the switch in there?

what kind of switch do you want to use? a push button? toggle? slide? the list is endless. (well almost)

i have a thread just like this. its on the front page as "button atop knob?"

there's a link to a radioshack button that is similar to bucketheads 'push to kill' soft touch button.

I did this a while back. If your looking for a buckethead/tom morello type killswitch solder the wire carrying the signal to one post (1) and the shield/earth to the other (2). Then take the wire from the jack socket and do the same again (hot wire to 1 and earth/shield to 2). By using a momentary normaly off (no signal going through unless pressed) it means that your guitar will work as normal until you press the button and it makes contact with earth and cuts the sound. Doing it this way stops you getting hum when the button is pressed.

I remember reading a thread where someone had the idea of having a knob to control the rate at which the signal was cut to ground..

So having the knob rolled to '0' would give you full signal,

and at '10' it would be cutting on/off/on/off like mad.

I've used the search far and wide..but to no avail :D

Just wire it across the two lugs on your output jack.

this is the best way, just run a wire from the hot side of the output to the ground so when your switch is flicked it shorts out the guitar.

I remember reading a thread where someone had the idea of having a knob to control the rate at which the signal was cut to ground..

sounds like a tremolo effect to me which would be active electronics and not just a simple switch

Just wire it across the two lugs on your output jack.

this is the best way, just run a wire from the hot side of the output to the ground so when your switch is flicked it shorts out the guitar.

sounds like a tremolo effect to me which would be active electronics and not just a simple switch

I think he might have meant to say "depth" and not rate. With a pot wired in series with the switch, you should be able to dial in the depth of volume drop when you push the switch.

But if he did mean "rate", that would be something like the old Vox "repeat percussion" effect.

what ive got so far.... theres two prongs on the switch, i apparently should solder the hot siganal wire to one prong, and solder another wire from there to the output jack, and then solder a wire from the other prong to ground. that about right?

volume pot (hot signal wire) left prong on switch (another hot wire) hot output jack

right prong on switch (wire) ground on output jack

my music shop makes normal repairs, but could they do this sort of thing? ive heard of them installing new pickups for people, they could do this stuff, right?

thanks for all your help guys.