I Have Shot 15 Coats Of Clear Nitro Over 5 Days

i have shot 15 coats of clear nitro over 5 days and the finish is not shiny everywhere, its a blonde tele, shot it with a spray gun using mcfaddens clear, the first few days the lacquer was drying just as it hit the surface of the guitar.

so to fix that i added more thinner so i shot an extra day day 5. a total of 15 coats in some spots it shines in others it dont looks semi glossy. my question is should i shoot one more day or go till body is shiny all over or should i stop now and wait the 4 weeks wet sand then polish?

will the sand and polish bring out the shine?

should i stop now and wait the 4 weeks wet sand then polish?

bingo -

So long as you are sure you did all the spraying evenly/thoroughly and thick enough to make you feel comfortable to wetsand without breaking through. It could go either way because the finish will shrink when curing further. Thats why its important to make sure the wood has been grainfilled well (depends on what wood). If you see grain popping out then you have to fill with more coats and wait another month or so.

I think 15 coats in 5 days is rushing things. The first layers are likely still curing and it makes the whole finishing process take longer in the long run. I've learned that lesson before. The finish sands and polishes ok but still has some plasticity. When you lay the guitar on any patterened surface for an hour or more it makes an imprint.

Its nice to see everything shiny but that would be a perfect paintjob. :D There are a LOT of variables that work into a quality paint job. If you can practice your technique ie. constant distance from work, constant angle, even overlapping etc. AND have the equipment set up properly, paint preparation is perfect AND the surrounding conditions ie. temp, humidity, dust level are perfect you might get away with it.

Edited by Southpa

k instead of clear coating a million times, i got this stuff that basicly gives you the exact finish in one coat, the reason being that one coat of this mixture is equal to 55 coats of varnish? and the finished result isnt very thick and it feels the same as if i put a laquer or clear coat on and sanded, it gives it an amazing shine as well. any reasons why this may not work? cause im positive it should

k instead of clear coating a million times, i got this stuff that basicly gives you the exact finish in one coat, the reason being that one coat of this mixture is equal to 55 coats of varnish? and the finished result isnt very thick and it feels the same as if i put a laquer or clear coat on and sanded, it gives it an amazing shine as well. any reasons why this may not work? cause im positive it should

and what stuff is this, praytell????

and what stuff is this, praytell????

No its called Nu-lustre-55 it covers prety much any craft your working on

Well, since it is an epoxy coating, it may yellow, as it's exposed to sunlight.