Ayone Ever Made A Laminate One Piece Neck

im about to make a 1 pc laminate neck through bass, meaning that it is a laminate neck, with a rear mounted truss rod and the neck wood is used for the fretboard.

has anyone ever done this before? ive thought about it for a while, and have just picked up the wood to do it. if so, do you have any tips? the only thing that could be an issue is having the neck piece tall/thick enough that it matches the height/thickness of the body for centre of the body, which i will be doing by making the neck blank longer, and gluing the extra onto the bottom where the body will be either side of. are there any other issues that anyone can see happening?

thanks

how "I" would do it is;

have the truss rod inserted in the front and put a fb over it;

and use the cut off from the back of the neck to make it;

i would do this because "I" find rear mounted rods ugly and most times done poorly; and that way your fb is higher than the body; unless you make a 'sunken' type body that dips down after the front of the neck;

how "I" would do it is;

have the truss rod inserted in the front and put a fb over it;

and use the cut off from the back of the neck to make it;

i would do this because "I" find rear mounted rods ugly and most times done poorly; and that way your fb is higher than the body; unless you make a 'sunken' type body that dips down after the front of the neck;

i was planning on doing the sunken body as you mentioned, the only concern i have is ensuring that the strip behind the truss rod is a nice tight fit, but using a "thicknesser" i have made (a router bolted onto some long pieces of steel running on brass rails that are paralell to the surface underneath) i should be able to get the right thickness, and then use small router bits for the corners of the truss rod slot, so that the radius can be sanded easily.

the laminate is 1pc of zebrawood in the middle ( 23 mm wide) 2 pieces of wenge either side of that (10mm wide each) and then 2 pieces (10mm again) of new guinea rosewood (i believe its refered to as narra in america). narra is also the wood for the wings as it will be a neck through.

ive decided, after getting alot of expensive wood for the neck (wenge and zebrano) and a cheap (but aparrently sounds very good) bodywood, ive decided its the way to go $$ wise, as the body takes up alot more wood, and getting an expensive body wood changes things alot. if i got maple for the centre strip, it would have saved about 7-8 $, but a more expensive body wood, would have been a fair bit extra. i realised that after getting the wood for my last build from a piece of walnut (which wasnt completely usable, so i got a discount already, but fine for a body and a little bit extra) i havent finished that build, but im going to get this one started as its for my girlfriend, who is singing in the band weve started a few months ago, but havent had much luck getting bass players that are easy to get along with, and are not too busy for a band. so my girlfriend will learn bass and make it a 3 piece, hence why i wanted to get this one stated so we dont have to borrow a bass for too long.

The most important thing is to let your new found piece of lumber sit and age for a really long time. Thick wood can be a troubling issue.

I won't make a neck from anything thicker than 4/4 unless it's aged 12 months or longer.

If you're planning some form of single action truss rod afair it would seem like stability is priority number 1.

-Doug

The most important thing is to let your new found piece of lumber sit and age for a really long time. Thick wood can be a troubling issue.

I won't make a neck from anything thicker than 4/4 unless it's aged 12 months or longer.

If you're planning some form of single action truss rod afair it would seem like stability is priority number 1.

-Doug

sorry if it was a bit confusing, the biggest piece of wood for the neck is 23mm by 55mm, which is for the centre. of the neck, i was going to achieve the desired height by cutting off the extra length of wood and gluing it to the rear of the neck where the body will be.