Les Paul Build

OK I'm going to be building my version of a les paul (the orginal guitar I was working on played humpty dumpty and had a great fall off the workbench)

My idea is to use a strat length (25.5") fretboard (cocobolo) on the guitar. Is this a good idea and would it work without me having to lengthen the body?

PARTS LIST

cocobolo fretboard (:D thanks Rick500)

fretwire

truss rod

stewmac neck blank

19" X 14" X 2" maple wood ( actually will be two 19" X 7" X 2" pieces of maple glued up.)

2 GFS Crunchy PAF HOT humbuckers

badass style bridge (:D thanks METALMATT)

chrome tuners

cocobolo knobs (B) thanks Rick500)

LP style toggle selector switch

2 250k pots

capacitors

copper shielding tape

cocobolo humbucker mounting rings (:D thanks bentwood999)

control cavity cover

screws for control cavity cover

thin cocobolo for wood truss rod cover (B) thanks Rick500)

screws for truss rod cover

nut

strap buttons + screws

And my finish will most likely be some sort of furniture stain or tung oil

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

My idea is to use a strat length (25.5") fretboard (cocobolo) on the guitar. Is this a good idea and would it work without me having to lengthen the body?

You don't have to lengthen the body. But remember that on most stock electrics, the neck intersects the body at the 16th fret. So you will have to move your bridge toward the tail end to match up with that longer scale.

If you don't want to do that, then you're looking at having a 17th fret neck-body join, which will put your bridge closer to a standard LP position.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE I got Rick500's cocobolo fretboard, TR cover blank, knob blank and a LP plan is the mail yesterday.

To quote davisguitars own words. I have to wait til school starts to have a guitar builder as well as teacher Mr. Fudge(whose real name DG forgot) to get it slotted. But that leaves me time to find poplar big enough for the body and maple big enough for the neck.