Need Help With Rewiring

zombones

I recently did a custom paint job on my first guitar and now I'm putting everything back together. Here is an MSPAINT describing my plight:

1.png

I snipped the wire connecting the cable-port part to the rest of the wiring and I am trying to put them back together. First I tried peeling some of the insulation from both ends to twist both exposed ends together, but that didn't work. Then, as I was putting my thumb on the cable-end, I noticed that no BZZT sound came when I touched the exposed cable-port-wire-end, but only when I touched the nub of the port-end. So I snipped off the exposed wire so that it was back to just insulated nub. I thumb it, and the BZZT indicating some sort of current happens.

My question is: What is the proper way to connect these two wires?

If you have enough slack, you could also use one of those screw-cap thingies that electricians use. Just get a small enough one that it fits in your cavity.

No only join by soldering so there is no resistance in the wire. Put some shrink wrap sleeve over the join and use a heat source like a cigarette lighter to shrink the insulation over the join. Makes a much more professional job than tape.

You should be able to get that from any auto supplies store.

A screw-cap thingy won't add resistance, either. The "cap" part is just a descriptor of the shape... it's not short for "capacitor" in this case. :D

I doubt you would find a marette (screw cap thingy) small enough to hold the wires together. Soldering the ends together w/ shrink is ok, but a royal pain when working inside the guitar. If the remaining length isn't enough then just replace the whole wire.

Cool... new vocabulary-- now I have to remember it. :D

You can find plenty of marettes small enough. Once upon a day I bought a variety pack for my general home toolbox, and there are at least a few different sizes which work fine. Reason being, the threads come to a point. Larger marettes won't quite cut the mustard because they come to more or less a dome on the inside rather than a point. The really small ones do not use metal threads; however, they still twist the wires together quite nicely. In any event, I certainly wouldn't have recommended the marette if I hadn't myself used it for guitar electronics.

I'm losing the forest for the trees, though-- I think that the best solution is to just replace the entire length. 2 quick joints to desolder then resolder, and you're done. Very little fuss.

Greg