Fit A P90

ok, i've done this on a strat i call frankenstein and i don't mind hurting, that's what it is for. but i want it to replace the bridge pick-up of my fernandes strat, wich i like, and i don't mind cutting its pickguard because it's just a piece of plastic.

in the frankenstein i had to make holes for the mounting screws (it's not dog-ear) and the holes just made it across the wood into the back where the springs of the bridge live. do you know anyway i could mount it without doing that holes??

thank you

The only way a soapbar P-90 mounts is with a pair of screws. Without those screws, the cover won't hold, either. That said, where there's a will, there's a way. You could modify any number of things to accomplish what you want. For example, you could create dents in the pickup covers and leave tabs in the pickguard, so that it "snaps" into place. Not absolutely sure it would work, but it'd be worth experimenting with. Another alternative: simple double-backed tape. <shrug> 'Nother alternative, somehow attach your own "ears" for mounting.

All kinds of possibilities, but there's no "one" way that I've ever come across. You'd have to be the pioneering trailblazer and come up with your own good method. :D

this is what i will probably be doing. put a piece of wood cut the depth between the guitar's body and the pickup and cut down the length of the screws so they don't reach the body. The piece of wood is glued to the body's cavity:

p90fit.jpg

dark brown = guitar

light brown = new piece of wood

black = pick up

red = screws

Edited by cr_XD

I recently put a P90 in a Tele neck. The route instructions told me to route FAR to deep. What I ended up doing was exactly like your solution, and it worked great!

Just fit a piece of wood into the hole so that it raises the "floor" to approximately the right depth. Drive your screws into that. Make sure you wait until the glue is dry to drill, as the foam or springs that suspend your P90 can put out a lot of force and crack a thin piece of wood.

this is what i will probably be doing. put a piece of wood cut the depth between the guitar's body and the pickup and cut down the length of the screws so they don't reach the body. The piece of wood is glued to the body's cavity:

p90fit.jpg

dark brown = guitar

light brown = new piece of wood

black = pick up

red = screws