How To Properly Set Up An Hsh Congif

FlashBandit

the pots dont matter ive used 500k's on all my guitars for years, it just depends which you like more.

not sure what you're asking about the impedance, are you looking for pickups to buy ? or already have some and looking for the best place to put them (bridge/middle/neck)

If I'm not mistaken, 500k's are fatter/warmer/mids+lows, right? That's what I want, but there's also the problem of impedance/output. I've played on HSS's and if the humbucker's on, it drowns out the single coils. I basically want each pickup to have a similar output so that one doesn't commandeer my sound! How do I match up pickups (before buying them)? If an hb output's too much (more than the sngl coil), can I add a resistor in parallel to ground, and maybe add a simple highpass cap so I don't drain the life out of my tone?

the only thing i can suggest is whatever pickups you get altering the height from the strings to 'even' them out or adding seperate volumes for each pickup.

if you want pickup suggestions you really need to say what you're looking for (you might want metal, and we could suggest blues pickups)

also

a capacitor will just dump high frequencys, theres no way to get a highpass filter with just a cap (a cap and a tone pot are a low-pass filter)

A humbucker will almost always have higher output than a single-coil. That's just the nature of the beast. But it's to be seen as a benefit in most cases... in addition to having different tones based on position (neck vs. bridge vs. middle), you can have different tones based on output. It used to be that people liked a 'bucker in the bridge position because it would be an extra boost in output level (compared to their single-coils) when time came for a solo.

In other words, I think it's a mistake to expect or even want all of your pickups to have exactly the same output level; particularly if mixing and matching single-coil with humbucker.

Greg