How Are Stratocasters Finished ?

Hello,

I was wondering how the stratocasters are finished ? Of all guitars they seem to have the thickest finish. I suppose it's impossible to do a such thing at home without their huge machines etc...?

I'm asking because I have some cracks on my body and so looking for ways to hide them.

Cheers

They're finished in polyester. Yep, its thick.

You can do something similar at home, but it would require a proper compressor & spray gun. But it may not take that much depending on how wide the cracks are, and if they are still moving.

If the cracks are through to the wood, fill 'em with epoxy then refinish. If they're not, just refinish. Either way, if you have no experience at finishing a guitar, you won't get that factory gloss.

Then again, you can just chalk it up to road hazards and call it a relic.

Sand the body using a block down to 320 or 360 grit dry paper and make sure there are no scratches left

Then use a scraper blade

Then seal with sealer.

Scuff the sealer (Re-shoot sealer if necessary and scuff again)

It has to look like it's perfect before you shoot the first drop of color

Then shoot the background color amber or yellow mostly in the middle to the edges

Let it dry for and hour or so

Shoot the red around the edges as far into the middle as you prefer

Let that dry for an hour or so

Then shoot the ebony dark brown concentrating on the sides of the body slightly overlapping the red you put down

Let that dry for a couple of hours

Start shooting the clear coats

I usually put at least five coats of clear before I sand back with 600 grit (I don't go for broke just a good sanding)

Apply at least four more coats

Let dry a 48 hours and use 800 grit until there are no shiny spots (If there are any spots I re-shoot at least two more coats and repeat the above)

Thin the final coat by 25% and put at least two coats on

Let it sit for a week

Color sand using naptha using 1200...1500...2000...2500 grit (After finishing up with 2500 grit I let it sit over night to vent out)

Then buff.

Yellow and red are translucent dye, the black is opaque. Do a search on sunbursts. There is a huge amount of info on how they're done. Then check guitar reranch, I think there's a tutorial there as well.

Edited by postal