Neck Pocket

I'm making pretty much an ibanez rg 350dx body and I have a 24 fret neck, I've heard things about having to route the neck pocket and a slight angle so the strings don't touch, so does this apply to this body im making? or can I just route a flat neck pocket with no angle?

You should read up on why neck angle is added and how to determine proper angles if needed. This is a critical bit of understanding, and you need to understand it(you will find it is not a difficult concept).

The neck angle is derived by the height of your saddles, and the tops of your frets. You simply need to make sure you will be able to adjust the saddles low enough to get decent action. Some bridges(TOM) for instance set too high and without neck angle or lowering the bridge by another method. You would never be able to set your action resonably low. You need to know the lowest height of your bridge saddles and the height of the tops of your frets with relation to the top of your body. This will tell you if your strings are able to be adjusted low enough. If your bridge saddles are too high, then you need to calculate an angle that will allow the strings to be set lower. Perry has a good tutorial on this.

Peace,Rich

BTW; If you get a responce that tells you that model does not need angle. Consider they do not know what bridge you are using, or your actual fretboard thickness, or how tall your fret wire is. all these play into the answer :D .

ya thanks that helped a alot, i jsut did some reading on it so im thinking of routing the bridge and ill route the neck pocket flat and prolly make a really good shim for it so that when i adjust my bridge to lower or higher the action, the proper sized shim will do so and make sure the action is adjustable.. will this do the job?

Will I have to install the bridge to just make sure the strings will get the righ clearance when i lower or higher the action?

ya thanks that helped a alot, i jsut did some reading on it so im thinking of routing the bridge and ill route the neck pocket flat and prolly make a really good shim for it so that when i adjust my bridge to lower or higher the action, the proper sized shim will do so and make sure the action is adjustable.. will this do the job?

Will I have to install the bridge to just make sure the strings will get the righ clearance when i lower or higher the action?

i am doing my first angled neck right now

i decided to angle the pocket instead of shimming the pocket or angling the neel

if you draw it all out nice and accurate either by hand or in a cad program [i use corel 11] you will be able to print out the wedge or have it cut by a lase machine. I cut a wedge and will copy it with a table mount router

if you do all that you can set up some wedges taped to the body and physcally check it