Project Ukulele

Introduction:

Alright, I've never built an ukulele before so this will probably be a challenge. I don't really know a whole lot about ukuleles either but I have been doing some reading. The first thing I found out was that they're really really tiny :D. After doing some picture stretching and comparing with specs from a "real" ukulele I've ended up with a real sized plan. And this is about where I am.

Specs:

The neck will be a spruce, mahogany, birch, ebony, birch, mahogany, spruce laminate. They're all pieces of scrap left over from other woodworking projects. The body will have beech top and back, birch sides, pine neck and tail blocks and some unknown quartersawn wood for braces and kerfing. All the wood together cost about $1.40. The fingerboard will be ebony and so will the bridge. Tuners are off a cheap fake strat and the nut will be bone. The body will also have some black plastic binding. Concert(I think) scale - 382mm or 15"(whatever that means). Jumbo frets :D and maybe a piezo pickup.

Conclusion:

I hope I don't mess up bad.

Tips from people with uke building experience are very welcome.

• 10 months later...

In autumn this project got put on stand-by because of army service but now I'm back at it. Following a crazy idea I asked David Myka if I could use his dragonfly shape because of my obsession with his work and amazingly enough he gave the project a green light. The shape isn't the exact copy of the dragonfly (flat butt) but close enough. The sides still need a bit of smoothing with "the iron" (The upper waist is way sharp) but I think its going quite nicely.

img4666vv0.jpg

Few changes in the specs also. Top, back and sides will be ash and it'll have gotoh tuners. Not sure about the neck yet. I have the laminate block ready for shaping and such but I also have a nice short piece of mahogany that would make a great neck.