Evx Dominator Custom

I posted this in the September “Guitar of the month” contest but I’m really interested to see what you guy’s think about the refinements

Again, I improved the headstock shape, Used boiled linseed for a base and loaded it with passive pickups. I also went from 4 controls to 3 to give more room! I also added wooden cover plates (which was a first for me.)

Once the case comes in I'll be listing it for sale.

Specs:

Neck:

25.5" 22 fret Indian Rosewood Fretboard

Dunlop 6150 Fretwire

Maple side position markers

Zebrawood headstock cap

Body:

Padauk Neck though construction

Solid Zebrawood wings

Rear cover plates: zebrawood (magnetically held on with 4 rare earth magnets each)

Electronics

Seymour Duncan SH6N- neck

Seymour Duncan SH6B- Bridge

3- 500K alpha pots

Les Paul style 3-way toggle

Switchcraft Mono Jack

Sprague Orange drop .33Uf caps

set up as master volume - neck tone - bridge tone

Hardware

Bridge: Kahler 7300 Hybrid Tremolo

LP style jack plate

Q-Part knobs with cats eye pearl tops

Kahler "behind the nut" string lock

Grover Tuners

Finish

Open grain with boiled linseed oil finish

100_2990.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...uk/100_3012.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...uk/100_2985.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/ZDG...uk/100_2982.jpg

Edited by zyonsdream

Awesome...

Can you elaborate on the boiled linseed oil? I've used it, but not alone. Someone on another forum shared a finish recipe with me. You mix 1 part linseed oil, 1 part clear gloss miniwax, and 1 part turpentine. As far as I can tell, this worked well (I only used it on the neck). Just curious how you did it.

Well, I just do the same thing Neal Moser does with his Walnut templar guitars (although I’m pretty sure he is using Dr. Ducks now.) I coat them with boiled linseed oil, no additives or hardeners. The linseed oil will get into the pours and harden. Some people add the wax because it leaves that shiny luster longer but if you use an oil finish, you WILL have to apply more oil on a regular basis. It’s not a maintenance free finish by any means.

I would never recommend an oil finish to anyone who plans on stepping on stage with a guitar. It won’t hold up to the extra sweat or road hazards. For those people, I always recommend nothing less than nitro but suggest a poly finish.

I recommend oil to those who want a very vintage feel and a guitar that will age well.

I’m going to try Dr. Ducks on my next walnut build to see what all the hype is about. Apparently it’s really good stuff and really locks out the moisture.