Wiring Problems...driving Me Crazy!

radrobgray

Well, since your control cavity is unshielded, that will definitely cause a buzz. I do not know if it would make it louder when the volume is down, but you might not notice it when the volume is up, since you are busy rocking out. :D

Another problem might be ground loops. You can look up how to tell if you have ground loops elsewhere on this forum, so I won't go though it.

You might also want to check your pots. Do they scrape and scratch as you turn them? Worn out or dirty pots can cause noise problems. Try spraying a little pot cleaner into the pots and sweeping them around to clear any dirt.

i totally spaced and posted this in the wrong section...sorry.

i did my wiring an its quiet when the vol is up but when i turn it down it buzzes more. is this because of a ground loop? also i think i should note there is absolutely no sheilding in the cavity. that may be a contributing factor.

• 3 weeks later...

lemme clarify my problem, when im touching the strings vol on/off its dead quiet. but, when i let go of the stfings with volume on its quiet but with the volume off it buzzes. i was just wondering if this is normal and will sheilding the cavity fix this?

i rewired it making certain there are no ground loops! may i add that there is absolutly no sheilding.

lemme clarify my problem, when im touching the strings vol on/off its dead quiet. but, when i let go of the stfings with volume on its quiet but with the volume off it buzzes. i was just wondering if this is normal and will sheilding the cavity fix this?

i rewired it making certain there are no ground loops! may i add that there is absolutly no sheilding.

No, it's not normal. Your volume pot is missing a good ground connection.

Stop worrying about ground loops. Check your volume pot wiring and insure there is a non-interrupted path from the lug on the volume pot to the ground lug on the input jack. If you bent the volume pot lug that is grounded to make contact with the case of the pot, make sure there is a good physical connection and you are not just relying on solder to bridge the connection for you.

If you can put an ohm meter on the middle lug of the volume pot with the volume turned "off" and the other meter lead to the ground lug of the input jack, you should read ZERO ohms. If you read anything else, you need to find where it is located and correct it.

No, it's not normal. Your volume pot is missing a good ground connection.

Stop worrying about ground loops. Check your volume pot wiring and insure there is a non-interrupted path from the lug on the volume pot to the ground lug on the input jack. If you bent the volume pot lug that is grounded to make contact with the case of the pot, make sure there is a good physical connection and you are not just relying on solder to bridge the connection for you.

If you can put an ohm meter on the middle lug of the volume pot with the volume turned "off" and the other meter lead to the ground lug of the input jack, you should read ZERO ohms. If you read anything else, you need to find where it is located and correct it.

I agree with the above. A normally wired guitar should be dead quiet at zero volume, even with no shielding. Either, you have no vol pot ground connection, or, are you using a reverse wired volume pot system? (eg, two independent volume controls, wired backwards to avoid one cutting out the other) - If so, although they are often suggested, it could explain the problem.

John

Either, you have no vol pot ground connection, or, are you using a reverse wired volume pot system? (eg, two independent volume controls, wired backwards to avoid one cutting out the other) - If so, although they are often suggested, it could explain the problem.

John

i am infact using the reverse wired vol for two independant volumes...is that the cause? if so will sheilding make it better?

i checked my grounds w/ the meter, they all check out fine.

Either, you have no vol pot ground connection, or, are you using a reverse wired volume pot system? (eg, two independent volume controls, wired backwards to avoid one cutting out the other) - If so, although they are often suggested, it could explain the problem.

John

I am infact using the reverse wired vol for two independant volumes...is that the cause? if so will sheilding make it better?

i checked my grounds w/ the meter, they all check out fine.

Shielding will help. And I think the reverse wiring is contributing, since the output gets to be quite high impedance, allowing it to pick up noise, raher than being grounded at low volume as with normal wiring

Im not a fan of reverse wiring for other reasons also, I think it messes up the action of the volume control and loses tone at lower volume. But do you like the results? I know some people do. I have my LP with normal wiring, and by the time one volume is reduced enough to affect the other pup, it has faded audibly from the mix abd sio that interactive zone I do not find to be a problem.

good luck

John