Could Someone Please Double-check This Wiring Diagram For Me?

Ben

wiring.jpg

Its pretty complex, and I just want to confirm it will work before I start soldering. I've checked it over and over myself, but I'd appreciate it if someone could just glance over it to confirm that I havent made any of the stupid errors I tend to make.

Its for a 4 pole 6 way switch

The square boxes are the poles, the rows of circles are the corrseponding 'throws'. The numbered columns represent positions 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 on the switch.

If anything isnt clear about the diagram please ask, and thanks for your time.

wiring.jpg

Its pretty complex, and I just want to confirm it will work before I start soldering. I've checked it over and over myself, but I'd appreciate it if someone could just glance over it to confirm that I havent made any of the stupid errors I tend to make.

Its for a 4 pole 6 way switch

The square boxes are the poles, the rows of circles are the corrseponding 'throws'. The numbered columns represent positions 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 on the switch.

If anything isnt clear about the diagram please ask, and thanks for your time.

nope it wont work the way you think it will... infact is so far wrong I assumed it was a joke at first... but incase its not... in the first position you have the P90 going ot the output which is connected to the input wire of the neck side of the bridge humbucker... the two humbucker output wires are connected together and not to any output... plus the input wire of the P90 is ungrounded so it wont work..

nope it wont work the way you think it will... infact is so far wrong I assumed it was a joke at first... but incase its not... in the first position you have the P90 going ot the output which is connected to the input wire of the neck side of the bridge humbucker... the two humbucker output wires are connected together and not to any output... plus the input wire of the P90 is ungrounded so it wont work..

Ah crap... :D

My thinking was that in position one, (which is intended to be just the bridge humbucker in series):

-The neck p90 was intended to have its input wire unconnected to keep it out of the circuit

-and the red and white wires of the humbucker were meant to be joining the 2 coils in series

-while the green from the humbucker is connected to ground and the black goes to the output (if you follow the blue wire)

I cant see why that wouldnt mean that the current would flow from ground, through the bridge coil of the HB, down the red wire, then the white wire, to the 2nd coil of the humbucker, then out of the black wire, down the blue wire, and then to the output...

Basically the bottom 2 poles of the switch on the diagram are meant to control whether the HB is tapped, in series or in parallel, and the top pole on the diagram is meant to contol whether the input of the p90 is in the circuit, and the remaining on is meant to control what happens to the output from the humbucker.

~now that all makes sense in my head... but if what you say is true then it obviously doesnt in reality :D, where am I going wrong?

Thanks for the reply

Ben

Just one question before i answer, which humbucker are you using? Dimarzizo Seymore etc etc?

Steve

GFS, but the wiring colours are seymour duncan.

Ben, the circuit looks like it will work to me also. The only thing that is perhaps not good practice is opening the ground connection of a pickup to turn it off: this might increase the hum pickup. But if you can ground a metal frame, it could be OK.

Parallel humbucker connection is frequenctly used. It gives about the same level as a single coil as I think you know.

Hey, I have to disagree the diagram is wrong... using seymore duncan wiring codes in position 1 the output from the south coil of the bridge humbucker is connected to the ouput of the north coil of the same humbucker ... neither of these are connected to the output ... in fact the only coil of the bridge humbucker which is connected to the output is the input side of the north pole of the bridge humbuker.. and this is connected to the output in parallel with the P90 ouput... all other switch positions are also incorrect

if you want I could draw up a diagram tomorrow sometime that would achieve what you want using the 4 pole 6-way when I have more time

Steve

Thanks for the replies,

Well, I decided to just go for it, and it worked!

Positions 1, 3, and 5 all sound great...

...but 2, 4, and 6 sound weirdly thin and nasal...

...so I figure I got the neck and bridge pickups out of phase, and I'm about to correct it once I've posted this. I'm 90% sure thats the cause... theres definitely a flaw somewhere, given that the bridge single coil is currently sounding fatter and louder than all 3 coils in series! :D

And Mike, both pickups do have metal covers, and when I tested the guitar it was almost completely silent. Noticably quieter with the distortion on than the store-bought guitars I have.

Hey, I have to disagree the diagram is wrong... using seymore duncan wiring codes in position 1 the output from the south coil of the bridge humbucker is connected to the ouput of the north coil of the same humbucker ... neither of these are connected to the output ... in fact the only coil of the bridge humbucker which is connected to the output is the input side of the north pole of the bridge humbuker.. and this is connected to the output in parallel with the P90 ouput... all other switch positions are also incorrect

if you want I could draw up a diagram tomorrow sometime that would achieve what you want using the 4 pole 6-way when I have more time

Steve

I may have confused you by saying the wiring codes were seymour duncan... I read the leaflet that came with them closer, and while (as it states) the pickup would work with the SD coloured diagrams, the colours for each coil are actually interchanged. hard to explain in words... Basically Black on Seymour duncans = green for GFS/ green for SD = black for GFS, and red for sd= white for GFS and vice versa.

This may be why I ended up with my pickups out of phase actually...

Even though it turns out not to be needed, I appreciate the offer of the diagram.

woohoo

Just switched the wires on the neck p90 and it now sounds awesome in all 6 positions!

Thank you everyone who replied.

Good, I was hoping you had a metal covers. Sometimes unshielded pickups such as Fender-type single coils can be a problem when switched in this way.

And Mike, both pickups do have metal covers, and when I tested the guitar it was almost completely silent. Noticably quieter with the distortion on than the store-bought guitars I have.