Soft Maple

I recently found out that the supplier I am going to get the figured maple for a neck blank from carries figured soft maple, rather than hard. On the upside, it is Red Maple, which I think is the closest to Sugar Maple of all the soft types.

I did a few searches, but got a lot of conflicting opinions. Do you think I'll be alright if I find a piece that looks and feels useable (ie. good grain, minimal runout, dry, etc.)? I really don't want to use CF rods on this project.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

I recently found out that the supplier I am going to get the figured maple for a neck blank from carries figured soft maple, rather than hard. On the upside, it is Red Maple, which I think is the closest to Sugar Maple of all the soft types.

I did a few searches, but got a lot of conflicting opinions. Do you think I'll be alright if I find a piece that looks and feels useable (ie. good grain, minimal runout, dry, etc.)? I really don't want to use CF rods on this project.

CMA

I wouldn't call Red Maple soft. I think of Bigleaf and silver as soft maple. Red is generally(there are always exceptions) much denser, and stronger than Bigleaf(western), or Silver Maple.

Peace,Rich

hijacking in process :D

how can i tell if the wood i cut is hard?

i cant tell if its not labelled

it just looks like maple to me; the sawyer we had said it looked hard; but being a year ago; i might be making it up!

Are you asking how to identify Sugar Maple?

It is notably harder than any other Maple. Get a piece of Birdsey(that is always Sugar Maple), and compair the texture and hardness. Red can be close, and may be very similar. If it is that close though, who cares what you call it. The properties are very very close.

Peace,Rich

I would consider density rather than hardness/softness of the maple I'm buying. Its easy enough to get the dimensions and figure out the volume then weigh the piece and compare with average densities on the internet. That way you pretty well know if the wood you are buying is suitable for building a neck so long as its cut right.

aside: my monitor looks really strange, just got back from the eye doctor and one pupil is dilated bigtime, looks kinda creepy. :D

One thing to keep in mind when you are using density to help figure out what something is. Pay attension to moisture content(a dry piece of rock maple and a wet bit of silver can weigh about the same amount, if the Silver isn't heavier). It can be a good tool, but if you have two similar woods like Red and Sugar Maple. Density may not be very conclusive.

Peace,Rich