Bridge Pickup Placement

mailman

On a single pickup guitar, with all that space to work with between the bridge and the fretboard end, what would be the optimal placement for a pickup?

assuming the pickup is blade style (e.g. bill lawrence, duncan blackout, etc.) and pole spacing is of no concern, would angling the pickup be of any benefit?

considering you only have one to work with for both leads and rhythms, if you had carte-blanche on how to pick a spot how would you do it?

:)thx

If it's just one pickup, definitely put it at the bridge. I use a bridge pickup for everything unless I want a jazzy clean tone. Personally, I find that using a neck pickup for rhythm, the guitar just gets lost in the mix.

Make sure you don't put it too close to the bridge. If you leave 1" between the end of the bridge and the edge of the pickup, you'll probably be fine.

how about angling though? do you see any potential benefit from angling a pickup so certain strings are further from the bridge (or vice versa)? obviously it's done more frequently on neck pickups but I'm wondering how that would play on the bridge

Angling a pickup at the bridge, neck, or anywhere has the same overall effect on the sound as does pickup placement.

The closer to the bridge, the brighter the tone. Also, as you move away from the bridge, you get more volume / output.

That is one of the reasons you see neck pickups wound a little lighter than a bridge model.