Neck Through Help

Okay, so I'm hooked. I haven't even started working on my first guitar, and I've started planning for the next one. I'm going to have to take a break after these two! :D

Anyways, I was wondering what size of would you would use to put together a multi-wood neckthrough neck. I'm going to try and use a tele body, but round off the sides. I want to use some light colored wood for the body, and do some kind of a transparent finish, maybe a blue or a red, with the neck having maple in the middle, some purpleheart on either side, just a little slice, and then some dark colored wood for the outside of the neck, to contrast the light body and middle of the neck. I was wondering if you could help me out with the wood question, and was wondering if you had any feedback on the plan so far.

Thanks,

Clever Pun

Edited by CleverPun

You should use whatever thickness it takes to build up to the total width of the neck. I mostly use 3 pieces of 3/4" as they are wide enough together. Another bonus is that 3/4" wood is easy to find flatsawn, so when all the slices are cut, they are all quartersawn.

You can fool around with different configurations of width according to what you think looks good, as long as the overall width is wider than the end of the fretboard.

Whatever you do, keep the outermost lams at 3/4" so that you don't cut through them when you taper the neck. Although I have seen it done thinner to cool effect, so....take it or leave it.

After that, any number and thickness that will get you there.

Best thing to do is to purchase flat-sawn lumber (way more common than quartersawn), cut it into 2" wide strips, thickness them as required, then when you flip them 90° and glue them up, you have a 2" thick quartersawn laminated neck blank.

Do a search on "glue press" to see the best ways of gluing up the lams...I glue press is really required for the best results.

Edited by erikbojerik