What Type Of Paint And Laquer?

alfredpotter

Hi everyone.

So I'm making a replica Steve Lynch guitar. It's the white charvel with red zigzag design (perhaps somebody knows what I'm talking about?)

I bought an old charvel model 2 body and have got it prepared for painting. I've applied wood primer. But now I am wondering.

What paint should I use? At the moment I have aerosol 'Dulux' 'spraykote' enamel interior/exterior gloss paint. Is this fine? I'd then mask off and apply the red zigzag design by stencil using the same type of paint.

Is this the right kind of paint to be using?

Then, there's the laquer problem. My stepfather has a spraybooth with spraygun and compressor (he works on pianos) and he says that he can get the clear finish over the design to look great and hard (by building up layers). Is this the right type of laquer? Or should I send the guitar off to some place which can coat it in polyester or whatever it is the professionals use?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone.

So I'm making a replica Steve Lynch guitar. It's the white charvel with red zigzag design (perhaps somebody knows what I'm talking about?)

I bought an old charvel model 2 body and have got it prepared for painting. I've applied wood primer. But now I am wondering.

What paint should I use? At the moment I have aerosol 'Dulux' 'spraykote' enamel interior/exterior gloss paint. Is this fine? I'd then mask off and apply the red zigzag design by stencil using the same type of paint.

Is this the right kind of paint to be using?

Then, there's the laquer problem. My stepfather has a spraybooth with spraygun and compressor (he works on pianos) and he says that he can get the clear finish over the design to look great and hard (by building up layers). Is this the right type of laquer? Or should I send the guitar off to some place which can coat it in polyester or whatever it is the professionals use?

Even though this is a little late for a response. I would not use cans of general-purpose spray paint for your guitar. They are generally an enamel paint and the results would be less than satisfactory. A company by the name of a reranch sells cans of spray lacquer, which would be perfect for your application. It just seems like lacquer always makes the job, Just that much easier. Yes, the clear coat piano lacquer is just fine as a top coat. If Reranch doesn't sell. The colors you want, or if their website is in the I have too many orders to take yours mode. I guess, you may be able to find spray lacquer, and the colors you need locally.

Edited by Woodenspoke

ReRanch is open today, so if you're reading this, you better get in there fast!

Mohawk makes nitro lacquer in aerosol cans. If you can't find it locally, you can order it online, but the order has to be $85 minimum I believe.

I've seen great results with Rustoleum and similar products, so I wouldn't completely take them out of the equation, at least as a last resort. You just have to be careful. Those companies usually make many different kinds of paints, so you have to be sure the particular line that you want to use is compatible with everything else.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy