Alumitone Question

zyonsdream

So I've read alot about the Lace Alumitones so I picked up a set of Chrome humbuckers and when they came in the mail today I quickly took them out of the box and wozers, they look a little cheep!

The chrome is nice and they look sturdy enough but the wire leads are not shielded and.... I don't know. it's hard to explain.

has anyone used them? Am I making a mistake by giving them a try? All of the "GC -MF and ZZounds" reviews have been great! Am I a victum of Advertorials?

I dunno, dude. Those are on my want-to-buy list. ;-) I know what you mean about the wires-- they're just a twisted pair, as far as I know. Not sure if that's a manufacturing decision or what. I'm not even positive that those 2 wires are of LESSER quality than some of the thin-tacular little wires that come inside a 4-conductor cable. The shielding issue is a bit odd, though. If you have tonnes and tonnes of random cables lying around, you could probably makeshift some sort of sleeve. I have a few different varieties of cable that you could just yank the guts out of and be left with a shielded sleeve.

The short version: if you made a mistake, it's the same mistake I'm going to make whenever I'm back in the black. :D

Greg

I dunno, dude. Those are on my want-to-buy list. ;-) I know what you mean about the wires-- they're just a twisted pair, as far as I know. Not sure if that's a manufacturing decision or what. I'm not even positive that those 2 wires are of LESSER quality than some of the thin-tacular little wires that come inside a 4-conductor cable. The shielding issue is a bit odd, though. If you have tonnes and tonnes of random cables lying around, you could probably makeshift some sort of sleeve. I have a few different varieties of cable that you could just yank the guts out of and be left with a shielded sleeve.

The short version: if you made a mistake, it's the same mistake I'm going to make whenever I'm back in the black. :D

Greg

You make a good point about the wires being better than the ones in a standard 5 wire set up. They are a larger gauge than SD pickup wire and they are strand not solid core so they should be pretty sturdy. With the grounded wire twisted into the lead wires it should act as shielding. But I still might use some shielding foil and a heat shrink tube just to be sure. Extra shielding never hurts.

It’s also that the extremely low impendence helps with eliminating hum too.

An interesting thing to note is, they give you the wiring instructions and a bunch of brochures on a mini DVD Disc in PDF file format. Although it seems that nothing special is required for wiring these pickups. Just your standard 500K pots and what ever set up you want. No coil tapping though since it really doesn’t have any coils, LOL

It’s going to be a few weeks until I can give them a sound check so we’ll see. I’ll try to post a few sound samples when completed.