Neck Length

It's really late, so I'm not sure if I've missed something glaringly obvious...

I've had a look at afew plans posted elsewhere on the forums, andI've ordered two of the books reccomended, but I cant seem to see any information on how to determine the actual length of the neck.

Like I said, I'm sorry if I've missed it, but can someone link me to where I can learn how to work out the length of a neck overall?

The blueprints/plans give overall length, headstock length etc, but not the length of just the neck (that I can see).

I'm preparing for my first build, so I'm having a thorough read up.

Cheers,

Drum

....draw it out and measure it.

You need to fit the fingerboard on there (length dictated by scale length and number of frets, re-read whatever section of the books you have deals with fret slotting and scale length), add enough for the headstock (depends on design) and any tenon you desire/need/want (depends on design).

What's there to 'work out'?

So basically, the length of the neck is the length of the fretboard + a couple mm for the nut? Is there any leftover fretboard after the last fret, or is that an optional, or even discouraged?

The books havent arrived yet, but I wanted to ask anyway.

So basically, the length of the neck is the length of the fretboard + a couple mm for the nut? Is there any leftover fretboard after the last fret, or is that an optional, or even discouraged?

The books havent arrived yet, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Look at any of your own guitars and measure. Length of the neck = length of fingerboard (depends on scale and number of frets, generally I cut off the board at one fret past the last fret, so 25th for a 24 fret board), add the nut (or zero fret, or a bit more for a fender style board) and the headstock, and that's your neck.

I repeat: draw it out in full. All will become clear. If you can't draw it out, you're going to have problems building the thing. Trying it out now, trying to consider everything, is a good place to start. You'll likely/maybe want/need to redraw parts of it once you get the book (Hiscock's 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' is highly reccomended) and read through the chapter on design.