Master Volume Question

WezV

OK, i have been asked to do something and i know how to do it but am not sure how it will effect the tone of the guitar or what value to use

I am going to be making a P-90 equipped SG with normal controls, 2x volumes (500k), 2x tone (250k) , the normal 3 way switch and we are talking about using a vitamin Q cap on the bridge tone and a orange drop on the neck tone. i have plenty of caps to experiment with to get the best sound from them.

I am happy i know what to expect from that setup but it will also have a master volume

What i am not sure about is the master volume, so all you elecy wizzzes, questions:

What value should the master volume? (100k, 250k, 300k, 500k??????????)

Why? How will it affect the sound? Will it affect the sound :D

My idea is to use a bypass pot that will cut the master out of the circuit when its turned up so i know it definately isnt influencing the sound but i would like to know what others think first

cheers!!

OK, i have been asked to do something and i know how to do it but am not sure how it will effect the tone of the guitar or what value to use

I am going to be making a P-90 equipped SG with normal controls, 2x volumes (500k), 2x tone (250k) , the normal 3 way switch and we are talking about using a vitamin Q cap on the bridge tone and a orange drop on the neck tone. i have plenty of caps to experiment with to get the best sound from them.

I am happy i know what to expect from that setup but it will also have a master volume

What i am not sure about is the master volume, so all you elecy wizzzes, questions:

What value should the master volume? (100k, 250k, 300k, 500k??????????)

Why? How will it affect the sound? Will it affect the sound :D

My idea is to use a bypass pot that will cut the master out of the circuit when its turned up so i know it definately isnt influencing the sound but i would like to know what others think first

cheers!!

Suppose you have one pickup switched on and its volume and tone all the way up. These pots reduce the brightness of the sound a bit. If you add a master volume control (assume it is all the way up), it decreases the brightness a bit more. You have to be the judge of whether it is a big effect or not. Things are more complicated with both pickups switched on, or with varioius combinations of levels of the volume controls, but in general the effect of the mv is to lose some brighntess. The higher the value value of the mv, the less loss of brightness when it is all the way up, but the more it loses treble when it is in an intermediate position. (Cable capacitance effect) But that is just like any other pot.

By the way, where do you get those bypass pots?

thanks mike, nice and clear as always

there is also a product called the rothewell neck adder that is a bypass pot when turned down, and for years people have been modding tone pots with nail varnish for bypass when turned up - i think you can buy them somewhere

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/neck_adder.html

Tbh honest i am not sure the bypass pot will work in this situation as it will cut the signal altogther, that was an error on my part