2nd Build. Lefty

Been working on this for a while, just havent taken photos till now.

Me and my lady designed it, its for her.

Bassically i had an old epiphone les paul that had been beaten to crap but the neck was good, so im using that and the hardware.

The body is sapele with a front and back of plain old walnut (but it looks soo good). Accent line is southern oak (white euculyptus???? I think thats what the guy said....)

Body has a couple of chambers cut in it cause it was bloody heavy and my lady isnt that big.

ke1.jpg

Still need to rout pickup cavity. But first i need to make the pickup, and the cover.

Pickup will be a humbucker, with matching walnut/sapele cover.

There is still alot of sanding to be done. These pics were taken after front and sides done to 220, back at 100(and needing lots more...).

Just dampened it to raise the grain before i sand more. There is also alot of carpet fluff on it.... oops...

More photos here

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/DKOrrGuitars/KE1/

Edited by darren orr

Beautiful in a simple and elegant way. I like it a lot. I've always loved the look of walnut, the contrast between the woods is great without being overstated. My first instinct is that I almost want to see a bit more of the core wood peaking out, around the edges with the accent line, around the entire edge of the body, but then I look and realize how attractive it looks with that one little swoop out by the forearm cutout.

Do you have a tune-o-matic set up with smaller tailpiece studs than bridge studs?

Do you play lefty as well? I was doing setup and electronic work on a lefty the other day and it just felt weird. I can't imagine building one if you don't play that way.

Nah, the drill press i was using wouldnt reach into the middle of the body, so they are just the pilot holes. Need to use a friends drill press.

I dont play lefty, My girlfriend does.

and yeah, lefty does seem really weird. but i am appreciating this shape upside down as well.

Its hard to get the feel of the arm contour because its the wrong hand.

Edited by darren orr

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i finally finished it! well..... not quite...

But its playable!

ke10.jpg

Now i just need to replace the nut. fix the pickup cover, buy a decent jack, get proper screws for the pickup cover, find my damn strap-locks, make a truss rod cover, fix a gouge in the upper cut-away that become VERY obvious when finished, and work out why my tone knob does nothing and where that damn hum is coming from! (electronics really are my weakness)

Oh and i need to get knobs, the ones i had dont fit.

More pix here!

Almost forgot, pickup is a handwound humbucker wound to 10.2K. Sounds quite bassy at the minute, more than i expected wven with the walnut and chambers, but my tone knob is screwy so that may be part of it. But it does sound lovely.

Edited by darren orr