My Epiphone Fixer Upper

My friend wanted an acoustic guitar, but he wanted a good one. He plays an Epiphone Explorer and dropped it several times where it's missing chunks from the corners. Appearance isn't too important to him. I got this acoustic with the finish sanded off. There is some sanding scratches in the wood, would I be able to cover those up with paint, or should I sand it with fine grit paper before I try to paint? I'm not even sure I want to paint it. It looks pretty good the way it is. The only It's missing a nut. The person I bought it from is going to get one Monday for me. The only thing I'm concerned about is the neck. The fretboard has some cracks, I'd guess you'd call it. At the top coming half way down to the first fret is some cracks. They don't all the way through the wood, just on the surface. Also, the fretboard either curled up, or the neck moved back and it's starting to crack along the sides. What should I do about that? I don't know if my friend would care about the crack, just as long as it was treated, so it won't keep growning. Should I just show some glue in it and clamp it? If I wanted to make it look better, what should I do. sand it and stain it?