Refinish Question

Jow

Hey guys I have kinda of a noob question. I have black guitar that I would like to add some art work too. Just on the face of the guitar. Do i have to sand the whole guitar down and start over or can I just sand the face, paint it up,clear coat and buff?? How do you think this would look? Thanks

Since I doubt you're going to get any type of chemical adhesion between original finish, new paint, and new topcoat finish, then yes, you need to sand the body to achieve a physical adhesion instead.

I would first wipe the body down 2-3 times thoroughly with Naptha to remove any skin oils or guitar polish that has been applied, then buy a 1000 grit Abralon sanding disc (they're cheap, maybe $5.00 usa dollars) and rub it down thoroughly with the sanding pad 2-3 times, wiping with a clean cloth afterwards, then your body should be ready to accept the new paint and finish.

How it will look is totally up to you. :D

Since I doubt you're going to get any type of chemical adhesion between original finish, new paint, and new topcoat finish, then yes, you need to sand the body to achieve a physical adhesion instead.

I would first wipe the body down 2-3 times thoroughly with Naptha to remove any skin oils or guitar polish that has been applied, then buy a 1000 grit Abralon sanding disc (they're cheap, maybe $5.00 usa dollars) and rub it down thoroughly with the sanding pad 2-3 times, wiping with a clean cloth afterwards, then your body should be ready to accept the new paint and finish.

How it will look is totally up to you. :D

Thanks sounds good. I'll try that and see how it goes