Staining

Kenny

well, i have a concept guitar drawn and i want to stain the redwood top black like This dean guitar

the problem is i want to use a mahagony/walnut/redwood lamination for the wings and a maple/bubinga/maple/bubinga/maple lamination for the thru neck

the problem im thinking i will encounter is how do these woods stain?

i want an over all black guitar but with the grain to still show through.

sorry if this is unclear, i can post pictures of the blanks if this would help ( i dont have the redwood top yet)

well, i have a concept guitar drawn and i want to stain the redwood top black like This dean guitar

the problem is i want to use a mahagony/walnut/redwood lamination for the wings and a maple/bubinga/maple/bubinga/maple lamination for the thru neck

the problem im thinking i will encounter is how do these woods stain?

i want an over all black guitar but with the grain to still show through.

sorry if this is unclear, i can post pictures of the blanks if this would help ( i dont have the redwood top yet)

for the effect you want i dont think stain or dye for that matter is the method to use;

for one, never use 'black' stain, it just never really works (or dye for that matter)

for this i would say trans black shading laquer, especially with rewood , its so unporportinally dense,

someone whos good at finishing could prolly shed a better light on this tho;

for the effect you want i dont think stain or dye for that matter is the method to use;

for one, never use 'black' stain, it just never really works (or dye for that matter)

for this i would say trans black shading laquer, especially with rewood , its so unporportinally dense,

Now ... :D how many stain jobs have you done in black that DIDN'T work? Because every single time I do a black sand back it looks exactly like that picture!

If you are using red wood, you could bleach the wood if you want a black and grayish color tones, if you are going for a very dark black wou should have no problem staining it.

Now ... :D how many stain jobs have you done in black that DIDN'T work? Because every single time I do a black sand back it looks exactly like that picture!

If you are using red wood, you could bleach the wood if you want a black and grayish color tones, if you are going for a very dark black wou should have no problem staining it.

to be PERFECTLY honest, ive never had a 'stain' go well for me at all; ive tried evry way of applying too;

but my personal experience with analines are for sanding back i always get screwed with black, it just dosent sand back well, its always mulling around in spots on the wood that look bad; the darkest i sand back with now is brown;

but looking at his pic it looked more like a colour over the wood to me as opose to the wood being coloured; i was looking forward to someone else describing a method too;

grant

• 2 weeks later...