Neck + Route Help For Sustainer Project Guitar.

Hey Everyone,

I built a sustainer setup using the massive thread over in the electronics forum, and I have a guitar that I want to install it in that has a few problems. I haven't been able to fully test the sustainer because I have to hold the driver over the strings while playing, so I want to get this in playable condition, and get the sustainer installed in it so I can see how well it actually works.

The neck on it is in real bad condition, and I'm thinking since it's a guitar of little consequence to me that it would be easiest to just get one of the cheap "take off" necks that I see on ebay a lot. How do I measure this neck to see what size I need to get to replace it? It's very strat looking, but I think that it might be a little shorter then a strat neck.

This guitar only has one humbucker in the bridge position making it perfect for the sustainer. I wound an old single coil to use as a driver, and plan on routing a hole in the neck position to mount it in. How far from the neck pocket should I route my hole ? I haven't decided yet if I'm only going to route a hole big enough for the driver, or if I'm going to route a large hole so that I can have room for the electronics and just make up a pickguard. The more I think about it option 2 is probably the way I'm going to have to go.

Thanks!

-Kevin

Hey Everyone,

I built a sustainer setup using the massive thread over in the electronics forum, and I have a guitar that I want to install it in that has a few problems. I haven't been able to fully test the sustainer because I have to hold the driver over the strings while playing, so I want to get this in playable condition, and get the sustainer installed in it so I can see how well it actually works.

The neck on it is in real bad condition, and I'm thinking since it's a guitar of little consequence to me that it would be easiest to just get one of the cheap "take off" necks that I see on ebay a lot. How do I measure this neck to see what size I need to get to replace it? It's very strat looking, but I think that it might be a little shorter then a strat neck.

This guitar only has one humbucker in the bridge position making it perfect for the sustainer. I wound an old single coil to use as a driver, and plan on routing a hole in the neck position to mount it in. How far from the neck pocket should I route my hole ? I haven't decided yet if I'm only going to route a hole big enough for the driver, or if I'm going to route a large hole so that I can have room for the electronics and just make up a pickguard. The more I think about it option 2 is probably the way I'm going to have to go.

Thanks!

-Kevin

bump