1 Hum 1 Vol

beatingu

Hey everybody.So i tried to wire up a passive pickup to my 7 string and it sounded nothing like the soundclips i've heard.I know they're supposed to be bassy but this was very muddy and unclear.It's a Lundgren M-7 with a 500k CTS pot and thats it.Am i using the wrong pot?Should i try a 1meg pot?I got the diagram here:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUH0101

Hey everybody.So i tried to wire up a passive pickup to my 7 string and it sounded nothing like the soundclips i've heard.I know they're supposed to be bassy but this was very muddy and unclear.It's a Lundgren M-7 with a 500k CTS pot and thats it.Am i using the wrong pot?Should i try a 1meg pot?I got the diagram here:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUH0101

Hi there...

500k is typical for a HB or high output pickup.. I am not familiar with the pickup or with 7 strings but the principle is the same. The higher the output the more muddy things can get...

Generally the lower value a pot the less treble response...so on a strat they use 250k's to tone down the bite, on gibsons 500k...audio pots of course (not linear).

The idea of 1meg pots is to load the pickup down even less making it even more bright. I recently used 2Meg and sounded great with a seymour duncan JB...definitely worth a try.

For a test of what it "could sound like"...connect the pickup directly to the output jack (no controls) and see what it sounds like that way...direct wiring like this has no load on the pickup. Check the wiring too, your pickup may not have the same color coding of that diagram and you may have parallel wiring or out of phased it without realizing. If in doubt contact the pickup maker for the color coding or keep swapping the wires about till you get the sound you are after...

You may want to check amp settings and guitar leads of course, all kinds of things can effect the tone and changing pickups is a major one, expect to use the amps controls.

I am now leaning towards high value pots on just about anything as if it is too bright, well that what amp controls are there to control...they can't put back stuff pre-loaded down by the guitars control pot, but are far better than the guitars passive control pot to tame things. Be aware that tone controls also leak treble to ground and sometimes a higher value here or a mix is worth while.

hope that give some ideas and clues.

pete