I'm Kinda Cofused About The Types Of Lacquer

I'm looking at the different types of lacquer, and reading I found out that there are the three main types (nitrocellulose, pre-catalyzed, and water based)

I know nitrocellulose is almost always used on guitars, but I"m looking at building a drumset, and I don't have 2 moths to let the finish cure before I can even think about playing it. I know I'd have to wait a week for any finish, but I don't want to wait much longer than that

my question is, to cover about 20 square feet with lacquer would take how many rattle cans? I"m aiming for 15 to 20 coats. would it be more cost effective to invest in a rockler HVLP spray system? I'd love to be able to dye the lacqure to do a burst on the drums, and I know that spraying is better for doing a burst than rubbing on. I'd also like to get put lacquer on my guitar, currently it has a satin finish with danish oil, and I"d like something that is gloss that also offers more protection, and will help bring out the colors of the finish.

also, is nitro lacquer the only type that will blend together between coats, or will the others types do that as well? I'm basically looking for the most durable finish that would work well on drums, and the layers would blend together.

If you're looking for the most durable finish there are other options than laquer that would be more suited, also since you're gonna pretty large areas I'd say that you'll be closing in on break-even on the cost effectiveness of a spray system. Also if you don't like waiting there are definitely better options than nitro etc. So is there any specific reason you want to go with laquer?

Edited by aidlook

If you're looking for the most durable finish there are other options than laquer that would be more suited, also since you're gonna pretty large areas I'd say that you'll be closing in on break-even on the cost effectiveness of a spray system. Also if you don't like waiting there are definitely better options than nitro etc. So is there any specific reason you want to go with laquer?

I'm not dead set on lacquer, but I want a finish that will not affect the resonance, as drums have to resonate a lot.

I'm not dead set on lacquer, but I want a finish that will not affect the resonance, as drums have to resonate a lot.

how about this... You spray two shells with different finishes...do a double blind test and see if you can tell the difference...