Messed Up Pickup Wires

taz

Guys i have trouble with pickups from Ibanez ProLine 1770.

Some guy that sold me the guitar ripped the pickups so that the wires on the singles look like this.

There are 2 wires from singles (red-white) and one is the jacket like in coaxial cables.

Now i can save red and white wires they stick out like 1/3" but what with the jacket. What's it purpose just to shield from radio interferences i mean the question is: Does that jacket go into the pickup and connect to something because its totaly ripped, or i don't need that naked wire(jacket).

Please help :D make my day :D

The "naked wire" is the sheild and is connected to ground both in the pickup and of course in the guitar and ultimately to the amplifier and through to the mains supply!

Yes it should be connected as it will sheild the guitar from interference by shunting noise to ground.

I suggest you find an Ohm meter and measure the coils for continuity. Don't know the specs of the pickups but you should get somewhere between 4k Ohm and 12k Ohm resistance if the coils are connected OK.

I suggest as well you do a search on Google for the pickup specs.

Good luck

Keith

The "naked wire" is the sheild and is connected to ground both in the pickup and of course in the guitar and ultimately to the amplifier and through to the mains supply!

Yes it should be connected as it will sheild the guitar from interference by shunting noise to ground.

I suggest you find an Ohm meter and measure the coils for continuity. Don't know the specs of the pickups but you should get somewhere between 4k Ohm and 12k Ohm resistance if the coils are connected OK.

I suggest as well you do a search on Google for the pickup specs.

Good luck

Keith

Thanks,)

But the bare "naked" wire is the ground and at one end it connects to the ground in the guitar but what on the other end?

I dont know that because the wire itself is ripped from the pickup! Now it seems like something was glued at the bottom of the pickup now could it be some kind of a plate and that ground was soldered to that plate?

Does that makes any sense?

The "other" end should connect to some sort of shield, which would be at ground potential, in the pickup.

If you could possibly post a picture it might be helpful to diagnose whats going on.

Did you manage to get any specs?

Keith

The "other" end should connect to some sort of shield, which would be at ground potential, in the pickup.

If you could possibly post a picture it might be helpful to diagnose whats going on.

Did you manage to get any specs?

Keith

I tested the pickup with instrument and tried it in the guitar.

It works :D

I still don't know where the bare wire should go on the pickup or what i couldn't find any info on the net.