Angled Nut Slots? |\\//|

Angled in which direction? Are they angled downward with respect to the fretboard surface? Or angled toward the tuning post as you look down on top of the nut?

The former is normal. The latter....I have never seen such a thing on a nut, only straight slots that follow the path of the string, but with a normal downward "break angle" to the slot.

With 3x3 tuners I'll open up the slot on a little the tuner side so that the string doesn't bind, but never would I angle the entire slot so it is not straight compared to the string path.

Angled in which direction? Are they angled downward with respect to the fretboard surface? Or angled toward the tuning post as you look down on top of the nut?

The former is normal. The latter....I have never seen such a thing on a nut, only straight slots that follow the path of the string, but with a normal downward "break angle" to the slot.

With 3x3 tuners I'll open up the slot on a little the tuner side so that the string doesn't bind, but never would I angle the entire slot so it is not straight compared to the string path.

Ok cool you understand. Yea I took a closer look at it at lunch and its just the 3rd and 4th string he has angled toward the tuners as you look from a top view. I figured it isn't normal after listening to this luthier talk about trying to reduce as many pinch points as possible and to me this seemed like a pinch point.

Alright any tips on nut files to buy or alternatives?

Thx,

Ken