Two New Projects Getting Started.

so i'm all keen and confident after my last build and am getting started on a bass for my best friend/bass player in my band and a guitar for another friend of mine.

Telecaster.

Swamp ash body to be finished however i want apparently just no blue. i'm not quite sure what i want to do with it. a little while off yet.

one piece indian rosewood neck, 25.5" scale, 22fret ebony board, bolt on neck. most likely no inlays.

electronics aren't fully discussed yet, initially he was wanting a lipstick in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge, although i want to sneak a p-90 in there somehow. scratchplate will be something along the lines of a tele custom/thinline something like that.

Bass- Approximation of a p-bass shape.

Wenge neck, ebony fretboard, set neck, either swamp ash or alder body, a little undecided yet, but i already have some swamp ash so it might be the go.

duncan hot p-bass pickup. passive electronics.

we've got some ideas for the inlay, i have to experiment a little but i want to try using glow in the dark modeling clay that when baked becomes really hard, like fimo or something. and for the design, this is where it gets exciting, a dinosaur and bones marking the other positions. if the glow in the dark looks a little funky i will try some other things.

finish- will most likely be pretty boring, black. hopefully he lets me do something a little more interesting especially if its the swamp ash we go with.

progress to date-

cut out and routed around the tele body, also rounded the edges. today i routed the truss rod channel and glued on the fretboard, will hopefully start shaping the neck on Monday.

no pictures yet, will have some when things start looking a little more impressive!

• 4 weeks later...

been a bit of a slow period of late but finally got some more work done today, plan to spend a bunch of time working on these builds in the coming few weeks. for today i got the tele neck all cut out and carved, its a fairly chunky neck, was aiming for a nocaster/'52 size and im pretty happy with how it feels. no pic of the fretboard of yet, its just plain ebony no inlays.

tele1.JPG

ok some progress today, got the bass neck started, wenge with ebony fingerboard, stew mac dual action trussrod. fretboard now glued on.

wengeneck.JPG pretty uninspiring picture. but there we have it. wenge.

slightly more inspiring is another idea for a new build. a double cut telecaster, for myself. with the following top on a queensland maple back. i have a couple of these tops both very similar but i think i prefer this one a little more:

teletop.JPG

some more progress. mainly on the tele. done all the routing today. sanded the body, started coating with tung oil, no stain, i think it will look hot with a 3 ply black tele custom'esque scratchplate. hardware/electronics will be a couple p90's, grover machine heads and a hipshot chrome hardtail. should have this done in a week or so. gotta fret the neck and make the pickguard yet.

telenearly.JPG

slightly more inspiring is another idea for a new build. a double cut telecaster, for myself. with the following top on a queensland maple back. i have a couple of these tops both very similar but i think i prefer this one a little more:

teletop.JPG

What a beautiful wood ! :D

If you think that the other top is ugly or don´t know what to do with it, I can send you my address... :D

teledone.jpg

finished the tele today. pickups are tonerider h-90's sound good to my ears. plays like a beast, huge acoustic sound. really happy. decided to hold onto this myself, and sell my gibson custom shop '56 reissue les paul, gibson firebird VII and fender USA toronado so that i can justify making myself more guitars :D