Wood Sale - 4 Flamed Redwood Billets (all 2" Thick Or More)

Jim Soloway

WOOD SALE - 4 Flamed Redwood Billets (all 2" thick or more)

After we complete what's currently in the pipeline, we're no longer going to offer redwood tops. I built up a really nice stash of redwood a few years ago, and I'm going to end up with four billets left in the wood stash. I'd rather see it go to someone who will use it than have it just sit on my shelf.

All four of these billets are dry. They are varying widths, but all four are at least 2" thick and a minimum of 23" long.

For info, my e-mail is jim@jimsoloway.com or you can call me at 503-977-2727

ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING IN THE US. PayPal or credit cards are welcome with no fees.

BILLET RW1 - $90

Length = 24

Width = 6.5

Thickness = 2

Weight = 5lb 14.4oz

RW1-1.jpg

BILLET RW2 - $95

Length = 23

Width = 6.75

Thickness = 2

Weight = 4lb 12.8oz

RW2-1.jpg

BILLET RW3 - $110

Length = 24.125

Width = 7.5

Thickness = 2.125

Weight = 7lb 4.6oz

RW3.jpg

BILLET RW4 - $95

Length = 26

Width = 8

Thickness = 2.5

Weight = 7lb 13oz

RW4.jpg

Edited by Jim Soloway

Compared to prices on the Bay, Flamed or not, I think these are highway robbery. My opinion.

WOOD SALE - 4 Flamed Redwood Billets (all 2" thick or more)

After we complete what's currently in the pipeline, we're no longer going to offer redwood tops. I built up a really nice stash of redwood a few years ago, and I'm going to end up with four billets left in the wood stash. I'd rather see it go to someone who will use it than have it just sit on my shelf.

All four of these billets are dry. They are varying widths, but all four are at least 2" thick and a minimum of 23" long.

For info, my e-mail is jim@jimsoloway.com or you can call me at 503-977-2727

ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING IN THE US. PayPal or credit cards are welcome with no fees.

BILLET RW1 - $90

Length = 24

Width = 6.5

Thickness = 2

Weight = 5lb 14.4oz

RW1-1.jpg

BILLET RW2 - $95

Length = 23

Width = 6.75

Thickness = 2

Weight = 4lb 12.8oz

RW2-1.jpg

BILLET RW3 - $110

Length = 24.125

Width = 7.5

Thickness = 2.125

Weight = 7lb 4.6oz

RW3.jpg

BILLET RW4 - $95

Length = 26

Width = 8

Thickness = 2.5

Weight = 7lb 13oz

RW4.jpg

Compared to prices on the Bay, Flamed or not, I think these are highway robbery. My opinion.

I'm not sure I understand this. All I can find on ebay are people selling tops (that is, less than 1/4 inch) --and some for the same price, if not more, than he's asking for these billets, which are all 2 inches thick or more (so presumably can be resawn a couple of times at least). Unless I'm not looking in the right place?

Your entitled to your opinion, but I don't know how appropriate it is to say Jim's prices are highway robbery.

First, Your comparison is not a fair one. Curly Redwood that is offered on "the bay" may or may not be fully seasoned, grain may not be as clean as these billets, may have issues with cracking(very common with redwood during drying), or have the same figuring or grain orientaion that these billets do. There are many reputable instrument wood dealers that sell wood of this quality for as much or more than what is being ask for these. Ebay is a garage sale (not to insult the few quality dealers that sell on Ebay). Some very good dealers that have regular internet store fronts or public locations offer some of their lesser grade stock on Ebay, but do not offer the highest grades there. Many regular(non internet based) businesses refuse to sell on ebay because it does not reflect regular retail prices(that I would point out, reputable companies are able to sell at regularly). In my opinion Ebay is definately not a reflection of fair regular market value, anymore than flea markets, second hand stores, or garage sales. To imply that a person is commiting highway robbery because they ask less than normal retail for high quality seasoned instrument wood is dead wrong. For what it is worth that is my opinion.

P.S. I think Jim's guitars are pretty nice. Give his site a look-link

Peace,Rich

I would normally ignore this sort of post but I think this is silly enough to deserve a response.

First, after doing a quick search, here is a link to a listing for a top on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Luthiers-3A-Redwood-To...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is for a redwood top that is .200" thick. The minimum price is $24.99 and shipping is $10.95. That is a minimum of $36 (and possibly more since it is an auction). My billets are all a minimum of 2" thick and the prices include shipping. At .200", you should be able to get at least three sets out of one of my billets, even with a crappy saw. So when you add in the shipping, my price is actually lower than the eBay listing.

Second, I would suggest that there is no such thing as highway robbery in a voluntary sale. No one is being forced to buy these. If you think the price is too high, it's really very simple: DON'T BUY THEM.

Oh and BTW, RW4 is sold.

Edited by Jim Soloway