Fiber Veneer

I've used these veneers from LMI on a few bits here and there, and liked them quite a bit. I'm curious, does anyone else know another supplier of this material?

Also, being not-quite wood, and seemingly less porous than plain wood veneer, am I asking for trouble using them as accent lines in a laminated neck? Given the thicknesses involved, I don't foresee it being a problem, but perhaps I'm mistaken or missing something.

I've used these veneers from LMI on a few bits here and there, and liked them quite a bit. I'm curious, does anyone else know another supplier of this material?

Also, being not-quite wood, and seemingly less porous than plain wood veneer, am I asking for trouble using them as accent lines in a laminated neck? Given the thicknesses involved, I don't foresee it being a problem, but perhaps I'm mistaken or missing something.

From LMI's description, I think Garolite (sold by McMaster-Carr) might be a suitable substitute. It's much cheaper than LMI's stuff, but you have to buy more. I ordered a large sheet of 1/16" Garolite from them a while back (36" x 48" ~$40), and have been using it for neck stringers and other accents. One of the instruments I'm working on has a mahogany body, maple top, and a garolite accent between them -- real sharp looking. I use black epoxy to glue them up, and I always rough up both gluing surfaces first. As long as you get a good glue joint, I don't see any reason not to use it for necks.