Hello, I've been a lurker for a while and finally decided to join up. I've learned quite a bit from this forum, and it appears that the members are fairly well-behaved! I've done simple mods and repairs to my guitars for years. Recently, I bought a closeout guitar body and neck from Guitarfetish. It's not exactly a "from the ground up" guitar building project, but it's my first project guitar and I'm hoping to learn from the experience of finishing it and adding hardware and electronics. The drawback with this thing is, unless I want to fill and drill holes, I need to find parts that will match up to the existing holes. Not a big deal, but it limits my choices.

Here's a link to some photos. I'm considering reshaping the top of the headstock, as the pseudo-Gibson style just doesn't look right with the PRS style body. What do you think?

PRS Project

Modding is a great way to get started at this. In fact, I really enjoy modding guitars, it's almost as much fun as actually building them.

The holes all look pretty standard, you won't have any trouble finding parts to fit. (GFS should have them anyway)

Reshaping the headstock is a big part of making the guitar your own, I think.

And you might as well reshape the upper horn on that thing. Looks like its a PRS with some weird disease.

You ought to start a thread for this in the "projects in progress section"

Go for it!

That said, different strokes for different folks. I can't really stand modding, and I'll avoid refinishing if at all possible. I'm in it for the building, and generally, if I'm not particularly enamoured of a guitar when it's finished, I take what I've learned and move on to the next iteration, and build one that does fit the bill. The woodworking, joinery, carving, shaping, that's where the fun is really at. For me.

Modding means you get to start with the fiddlier bits (finishing, refretting, setup, wiring) instead of the fun making massive piles of woodchips bits. That's my view, and probably explains why I have six guitars that are all nearing finishing stage. When the weather really improves, I'll have to bite the bullet and get down to the details. The upside of modding: once you start building, you'll have a better understanding of what makes a guitar play great and how to set things up properly.

That body and neck I bought looks suspiciously like one of these:

Saga HT-10 kit

:D

I'm sure GFS probably has just about anything I'll need for this guitar. The only thing is, they don't give enough detail on screw hole spacing, dimensions, etc. for many of the parts. Kind of a crap shoot... order it and hope it fits. :D

Or shoot Jay an email and ask. He's a helpful guy.