Normal Vs. Low-angle Planes

davewarner

I'm moving along with processing the lumber for my first guitar and so far have succeeded in building a darn-handy thickness planing jig for my router. In looking ahead to future steps where I'm expecting to need a spokeshave, block plane, and perhaps a smoothing plane. What I'm uncertain about is if a normal or a low-angle spokeshave/plane is better suited for typical guitar construction needs (neck shaping, fitting for glue-ups, etc.).

I've searched the boards and read many posts about planes in general, merits of low-cost vs. high-cost, setup tips, etc, but have not come across a discussion comparing the advantages/disadvantages of normal vs. low-angle planes. There was a mention of low-angle planes being better suited for end-grain work ... and if that's the case what is the downside?

I would really appreciate any thoughts and insight you guys can provide on the merits of normal vs. low-angle planes and spokeshaves. In the meantime I'll continue practicing with my cabinet scrapers and making lots of sawdust with the thickness planer.

[update: was searching the web over the lunch hour and came upon this thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php...9112#post649112

sound like you can do quite a lot with the bevel-up smoother or jack plane and a selection of blades. Still interested in the opinions from the builders here.]

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by davewarner

If you dont have power tools for milling and you like exotic woods a low angle plane is best. I dont know of one plane which will do everything but I'm old school so what do I know.

I posted a similar post in a thread where a guy was asking about rasps. For neck and some body shaping I use a microplane rasp, works like a charm.

Most places I've seen reccomend a high angle (York pitch) plane for curly/difficult to plane woods. A bevel up style plane (like the Veritas ones) with a couple of different blades would be a good option. I only recently got a low angle plane (a Lie Nielsen adjustable mouth block), and that's the only low angle plane I plan to keep. Haven't noticed a distinct advantage over my regular angle stanley - I mean, it adjusts better and cuts better and the blade is much, much easier to get sharper and stays sharper longer, but the regular angle block works fine as well.

I'm starting to lean towards the bevel-up option for a general purpose jack plane, as I've heard some of the same things regarding the flexibility they offer via swapping blades with various cutting bevels. Still trying to decide on a spokeshave.

For others who come across this thread and are looking for information on planes take note of this link:

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Woo...NDEX_How_To.htm

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Most places I've seen reccomend a high angle (York pitch) plane for curly/difficult to plane woods. A bevel up style plane (like the Veritas ones) with a couple of different blades would be a good option. I only recently got a low angle plane (a Lie Nielsen adjustable mouth block), and that's the only low angle plane I plan to keep. Haven't noticed a distinct advantage over my regular angle stanley - I mean, it adjusts better and cuts better and the blade is much, much easier to get sharper and stays sharper longer, but the regular angle block works fine as well.

I have a Stanley low angle block and I would certainly not use it for figured wood. However I have seen demos at wood shows with the much longer low angle Lie Nielsen Jack and the results were amazing. I also believe they used a 45 deg angled stroke to the board as well. With a small block you really don't get the same cutting force out of the blade as I can attest to. I will assume the newer models from veritas the bevel up low angle Jack and Jointer will provide similar results. I don't own any of these models but can only comment from demos I have seen done on figured wood.

I dont see any downside except price. What works on difficult grain should also work on normal grain and end grain. If you have a good selection of power tools end grain is less of a concern for most builders.

Edited by Woodenspoke