Ahhhhhhhh!

I got a little crazy with the table saw and accidently cut my neck (it's a through neck) about 1/16 too thin in depth. It's only on part of the neck that will be under the fretboard, because it got moved while I was cutting it. I had a thought of ripping it in half lengthwise, and gluing in a piece of maple. Another option I thought of was putting wood dough on the part that will be concealed by the fretboard, but I'm worried that will severely affect the tone of the guitar. Any other ideas?

Untitled.png

Edited by bluesman94

I got a little crazy with the table saw and accidently cut my neck

When I first read that, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, lol.

So, you're saying that it only happened to the part of the neck that will be shaped? If so, you usually lose a little depth there anyway when you shape it.

CMA

(Edit: I assumed you were trimming it down to 3/4"? Is that correct?)

Edited by CrazyManAndy

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Most necks, where the fretboard will be, are only around 3/4" thick (before shaping). Add the fretboard and you bring it to 1" total. You've apparently got considerably more than 1" of thickness even without the fretboard.

Are you talking about width or depth?

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

it doesn't have a neck angle, so i can get rid of one side. But then I'm still stuck with one side of unevenness. i'm talking depth. If i true it up, sure i'll have plenty of room for the neck, but i don't want a super- thin body.

Can the Idea for a neck through and cut off the body half and glue on the neck using a pocket. If you do a good job it will look like one piece.

Generally if you screw up you learn your lesson and start again, so if the design is all important start over.

Hey everyone screws up even all the greats posting answers here: they just dont tell anyone they screw up on ocassion.

Can the Idea for a neck through and cut off the body half and glue on the neck using a pocket. If you do a good job it will look like one piece.

That's perfect! thanks! I'll tell you guys how it goes

Edited by bluesman94

OK...you've made a mistake, this is not about why this or that fix won't work....it is about making SOMETHING work, that's one characteristic of a good luthier. Take a mistake, and make it a "feature".

For the back...since its only 1/16" you could taper the thickness of the back cap toward the center to reveal the neck lams, if you MUST see the lams on the back (and only the drummer will be able to see them, and he won't be paying attention :D ). Warwick Thumb basses have a back carve that is canted like this (though not to reveal any laminations per se).

For the fretboard surface, think of the "weird line" as an accent veneer like the kind you sometimes see between a figured wood cap and the core wood on a body. Or, if your fretboard is a dark-colored wood, use a layer of the same wood and it will just look like a slightly thicker fretboard. 1/16" is not much in the way of fretboard thickness.

here's the solution I came up with. I true up both sides and make up the difference with zebrawood on the back of the body. I'll cut a block into four pieces and arrange them so the grain makes a diamond- shape.