Can I do this?

Snork

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
yeah you can i did with a peice of zebra wood.the grains lined up nice but if yours dont you can use a strip of another wood to "break up" the joint line and add decorative design to the top

We were all there once. But you'll be fine. As far as bookmatching, just take a few extra seconds to do it. Gibson, Prs...they dont. Look at their tops...mont of the time they're slightly off.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
i know that this piece isnt long enough to cut in half. i was just using it for an example. yes i know i am jackass newb and im slurrying you with questions but please bear with me. THANK YOU ALL!

Meant to quote this

I just did this with a fiddleback anigre top, and it looks great. I was going to add a walnut divider down the center, but the two pieces matched up so well that I decided not to. I flipped one piece over so that the fiddlback figuring created a symmetrical V pattern. I think this will work better with some woods than others. Use your judgement.

yeah you can i did with a peice of zebra wood.the grains lined up nice but if yours dont you can use a strip of another wood to "break up" the joint line and add decorative design to the top

We were all there once. But you'll be fine. As far as bookmatching, just take a few extra seconds to do it. Gibson, Prs...they dont. Look at their tops...mont of the time they're slightly off.

Litchfield, I gotta clarify:

I think what Snork is suggesting is to take a long board, cut it in half lengthwise and glue it together. This is not book-matching.

Book-matching is when you saw a board all the way through its thickness, resulting in 2 halves of the same length and width, but half the thickness, open it like a book, and glue the edges together. This will give you a symmetrical appearance.

Sven

Thanks again guys. But just one more question. does the way the body is shaped affect the tone of the guitar. and also i was lookin at the monkey grip. wont that mess up the tone and cause some unwanted feedback?

Some people will say that the body shape effects tone. Id say that the thickness of the body will have the most effect. As far as cutouts go, the ones in the center will have the most effect, because you're interrupting the continuity of the grain between the neck and the bridge. Feedback? fuggedabowdit!

Check out this FAQ

I'd be pretty amazed if you could hear a difference in tone or sustain caused by a monkey grip. Besides, the benefit of being able to carry your guitar around without a case way aotweighs any loss in sound :D