Preslotted Nut For Strat.

So heres the thing. I'm refinishing a guitar and I decided to pop the old plastic nut off and replace with a graphite nut. So I went to Guitar center and bought the only graphite nut they had, an allparts graphite.

It's pre slotted but not by very much. Part number is BN 0823-00G Found here

http://www.allparts.com/store/nuts-saddles...00g,Product.asp

Should I bother installing it or should I order a graphtech one? Does it absolutely need to be filed properly for each string?

I have a set of micro files but they're NOT fret files. This is not something I've ever done before and quite frankly I dont want do as I have no measuring tools for this. I dont know if my micro files are even small enough.

The high E and B strings have almost no indent. A set of .10-46 strings would likely pop right out. Whats worse is I want to use .12-56 in Drop C!

If you're not comfortable doing it, that answers your question.

But since you already have the nut, why not give it a try? All you need is a set of spark-plug gap guages. Just take it slowly, measure often, it's not that dificult.

And you can always order the graphtech nut (which will need to be tweaked anyway) in the meantime.

If you're not comfortable doing it, that answers your question.

But since you already have the nut, why not give it a try? All you need is a set of spark-plug gap guages. Just take it slowly, measure often, it's not that dificult.

And you can always order the graphtech nut (which will need to be tweaked anyway) in the meantime.

Because it requires even more tools! Im getting tired of buying one use tools.

My micro files arent fine enough for this, they're ok for the thicker 3 strings, but the high ones are a no go. Only reason I'm replacing it is because the previous owner strung it up as a lefty, with heavy strings. This ruined the plastic nut.

Luthier wants $125 for a new nut install (includes setup)

Guess im off to buy some feeler guages. Will see what happens.

Edited by Malakai

If the nut has a flat bottom you may want to take the material from the bottom of the nut vs trying to file each slot. Just place sandpaper on a very flat surface and take a little at a time by sliding it back and forth over the sandpaper and test it.

If the nut has a flat bottom you may want to take the material from the bottom of the nut vs trying to file each slot. Just place sandpaper on a very flat surface and take a little at a time by sliding it back and forth over the sandpaper and test it.

Won't quite work if the problem is that the slots aren't deep enough to hold the strings properly.

What you're talking about is if the strings are too high off the board at the nut.

Then you sand down the bottom of the nut. You would never make that adjustment by deepening the slots....

Won't quite work if the problem is that the slots aren't deep enough to hold the strings properly.

True..but a pre slotted nut should accept a 10-46 string set without a problem, well for a graphtech one anyway.

True..but a pre slotted nut should accept a 10-46 string set without a problem, well for a graphtech one anyway.

graphtech probably.

Allparts graphite not.

Anyone know where I can get cheap files capable of filing this down? Harborfreight ones are too big, and I refuse to pay 15-30 per file at stewmac.

I suppose this nut is setup with minimal slots as a starting point to file from versus drop in use like a graphtech pre-slotted nut.

Anyone know where I can get cheap files capable of filing this down? Harborfreight ones are too big, and I refuse to pay 15-30 per file at stewmac.

Ah, okay, I thought you had the right files.

Supposedly you can use welding torch cleaners (not sure if this is the right term) for this --they come in different sizes that will work for a guitar. This is only what I've read, I've never been able to find them over here.

I agree that the "proper" "nut files" sold by the guitar shop suppliers are somewhat of a rip-off, and I mainly say that because I have a bunch of them, and I think the roundness of their edges can sometimes leave a lot to be desired. Take my .013" from Stew-Mac. I highly suspect this sucker is just filing a flat bottomed slot much like a razor saw would. I'll have to super-size a photo or scan of a slot cut with it, to know for sure, I guess.

The files are crude suckers. Why can't someone just diamond dust coat some well rounded feeler gauges and I think those would be some sweet nut files.

Don't bother buying a nut file over .025" or whatever size is close to that. I actually prefer a round edge feeler-gauge (every feeler gauge I ever bought already came with a well rounded edge) with that adhesive backed 220 or 320 grit sandpaper firmly fitted around the edge of the feeler-gauge over my real nut files in those larger gauges. For example I was doing a nut the other night , and the A slot was for a .036" string, and I have the stewmac .035" file, but I prefered to grab a feeler -gauge that had the sandpaper on it (think it made a .038" slot with the sandpaper). Way better cutting action.

For smaller gauges, you can find all kinds of things around the house, like the "safe" edge of a razor blade, rounded with sandpaper , then make some teeth by any means possible. That might give you something around .010" (but I don't have a razor blade and calipers handy right now).

The torch tip cleaners have potential if you glue or weld them to a backer, because I have a set and the smaller ones just bend too easily and the cut is very very mild. Better for burnishing than filing.

There's also mini hack-saw blades that are quite thin, and I guess you could grind down the set in the teeth to make rather thin blades for thin string slots.

My micro files arent fine enough for this, they're ok for the thicker 3 strings, but the high ones are a no go.

What Soapbar said is right on. For my high E and B strings, I simply cut a slot with a fine bladed X-Acto saw. I have a few bits of hacksaw blades mounted in a wooden handle that worked well on the G string slot until I got a nice set of files. If the slot they leave is a little wide, you can grind them down a bit to thin the kerf. A folded over sheet of finish sandpaper or some abrasive cord helps smooth the finished slot out.