1-piece And 2-piece Neck Construction

Is there any definitive information on neck construction available? I've been making necks now for almost 2 years and when I use a 2-way truss rod I get plenty of adjustability, but I don't like them for many reasons. I want to use single rod vintage type rods on both 1-piece and 2-piece necks. I recently made this neck and installed it on my Frankie and it's 1-piece with a vintage style rod. It doesn't have a lot of adjustablity it seems. Luckily it's perfectly straight and the action is sickly low and sweet so there are no issues.

BeakNeckFrankie_sm.jpg

I had an EVH EBMM guitar in for adjustments here a few weeks ago and noticed the truss adjustment was very sensitive.

I'm also making this neck for someone now and have noticed limited adjustability with it too. I prebend my truss rods about .200" with tapered shims and the skunk stripe is shaped to fit that bend as well.

neck1_sm.jpg

What are the standards when making a 1-piece or 2-piece neck and using a single rod vintage truss rod?

Edited by DivebombInc

What you have drawn looks fine to me. The difference in adjustability that you are finding is due to the difference between the 2-way and vintage style truss rods. The 2-way has a rod threaded on both ends with the direction of the threads reversed. This makes one turn move the rod twice as much as the vintage style. Plus the vintage is a compression rod acting on the wood of the neck itself. The 2-way acts on the second rod.

~David

What you have drawn looks fine to me. The difference in adjustability that you are finding is due to the difference between the 2-way and vintage style truss rods. The 2-way has a rod threaded on both ends with the direction of the threads reversed. This makes one turn move the rod twice as much as the vintage style. Plus the vintage is a compression rod acting on the wood of the neck itself. The 2-way acts on the second rod.

~David

Thanks David! I understand the dynamics of the two different types of rods. The EBMM was so easy to turn and it had such immediate results it must be a 2-way.

Thanks again... I'll start carving now. I'm just trying to get to the point to where I don;t even use 2-ways and I just want to be sure I'm doing it right every time.