Just Finished- P-bass With Some Twists.

I started this about a month ago. as a gift for my best mate/bass player in my band. He has been playing a shitty mexican p-bass for ages, and while he has no problem putting money towards ridiculously loud bass rigs i wanted him to be playing one of my instruments on stage. He said "I want something that looks a bit like this (pbass) and it matte-blackish, but you choose the rest"

Swamp ash body

Wenge neck, ebony fretboard

34" scale 22 jumbo frets

hipshot ultralite tuners

duncan quarter pounder pickup.

badass II bridge

tung oil finish- black grain fill then all stained black.

sorta rushed through it a bit yesterday. until yesterday morning it was rough shaped neck and a rough body cut. got a show tonight to test with, also another one tomorrow. it sounds huge acoustically. haven't heard it through his rig yet.

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

needless to say hes happy with it. a couple weeks to get used to it then into the studio to record an album.

really like that. i want to make a p bass with a 1pc wenge neck. really like the way it all fits together. how did you find the tone with an ebony fretboard and wenge neck? probably pretty different to say without having the same pickup in another p bass though.

after a first gig with it i'm loving the sound, so much more attack and sustain than the other bass. the wenge/ash/ebony is all set to be pretty bright but it sounds fat and defined too. we play pretty heavy math-ish rock stuff and i'm a big fan of a bunch of bands that use travis bean's and the like, not nearly as extreme as that but its got some snap to it. very happy indeed.