Cf Rods In A Laminated Neck.

I am working on this korina/rosewood/korina laminated neck at the moment:

IMG_0247.jpg

It's going to have a hot-rod TR, an I wanted to use two CF rods at the sides (Stewmac 3.2mm x 9.5mm) . The centerpiece (RW) is 19mm wide.

How would you suggest to install the CF rods in this neck ?? If I do it like I did last time they would sit pretty much astride the korina/rosewood joints... Wouldn't that defeat the stiffening advantages of the lamination ??

I was thinking that fanning the slots for the CF rods a little (as in not parallel to the TR: closer at the nut, farther apart at the heel) might allow more of the wood joints to remain undisturbed...

How would you do it ?? What would you suggest ??

Many thanks in advance.

That rosewood is going to make the neck pretty stiff as it is. Are you sure you need the CF? More of a 'want' in this case than need I think.

To answer your question directly though, adding CF stiffens the neck and so does laminated construction. (you know that already) I doubt that removing some of the glue line in lieu of CF is going to weaken the neck at all. Since you'll be filling the gap around the CF with high quality epoxy or other non-PVA glue the neck should be just as strong.

-Doug

Solid CF has a higher stiffness/weight ratio than an equivalent volume of any wood, so you certainly won't weaken the neck by putting the rods in. Solid CF is, however, 50%-60% more dense than any wood so you will increase the weight of the neck slightly.

IMO one of the major benefits of CF rods is their long-term stability, i.e. I think they make the neck less subject to the vagaries of temperature and humidity, and string pull over the years, if you have them in. They also help to even out any dead spots.

Pay attention to neck thickness if you're moving the rods out toward the edge of the neck; you don't want to start carving the back of the neck and expose a CF rod.

IMO one of the major benefits of CF rods is their long-term stability, i.e. I think they make the neck less subject to the vagaries of temperature and humidity, and string pull over the years, if you have them in.

+1

Good point for sure.

You should draw out your neck profile at the first fret. Your using a skinny but tall (1/8" x 3/8" sorry I don't think in metric well), and you are thinking of placing the rod outside the 3/4" center lam. Which would potentially push you right to the back if not through if you are using a 1/4" fretboard and an average to thin neck depending also on contour. You have to draw it out, because you are the only one who knows what all the variables are.

Really you shouldn't be concerned about loosing stifness,or lamination effect.

To glue inCF rods you have to use epoxy resin anyway ,which is multiple times stronger and stiffer than titebond or any white glue.

For what is worth here is little pictorial of my implementation of the CF rod reinforcement in the laminated neck.

It is in Croatian langague but there is a lot of pictures.

Only difference is that I didn't install purchased and prepared rods,I went for "wet" installation option.

http://www.glazbeni-forum.com/showthread.p...5143&page=8

Edited by McOmio