Cf Rod To Glue Or Not To Glue

I have a u channel truss rod, and have just received a carbon fibre square ( oblong )profiled rod. Do you reccomend that I glue the cf rod in place, if so what is the best adhesive to use. I am building a 12 string so I wanted the xtra stiffness (if only for peace of mind) that the cf ros will give.

My guess is to use an epoxy resin on the rod

If you want to use the carbon fiber rods for structural reinforcement then I recommend epoxy. If you do use wood glue remember that the surface of CF is smooth and wood glue will not mechanically bond with it unless you roughen the surface. I find that this is not necessary with epoxy.

~David

If you want to use the carbon fiber rods for structural reinforcement then I recommend epoxy. If you do use wood glue remember that the surface of CF is smooth and wood glue will not mechanically bond with it unless you roughen the surface. I find that this is not necessary with epoxy.

~David

Excellent point!

Wood glue barely bonds with CF at all, no matter what you do. Epoxy or polyurethane glue here. Both work. As does (thick) CA glue, for that matter. The advantage to epoxy is that it doesn't matter if some gets left on the gluing surface, at least not if you're gluing the fingerboard on with epoxy.