Lmi Maple Top Grading Examples?

I realize alot of folks here use LMI alot but since I haven't yet, I was looking for examples of their maple tops. If you please, post up pics and what grade the particular top on your piece is, this will be a big help for me in price justification in relation to what you get. Don't hesitate to add personal opinions regarding if they or any particular supplier is overpriced as compared to _________ thanks for your time and trouble on this.

Also, I'm looking for a nice traditional single action truss rod and was wondering if the 'compression' rod LMI lists would fit the bill for an LP type build.

I realize alot of folks here use LMI alot but since I haven't yet, I was looking for examples of their maple tops. If you please, post up pics and what grade the particular top on your piece is, this will be a big help for me in price justification in relation to what you get. Don't hesitate to add personal opinions regarding if they or any particular supplier is overpriced as compared to _________ thanks for your time and trouble on this.

Also, I'm looking for a nice traditional single action truss rod and was wondering if the 'compression' rod LMI lists would fit the bill for an LP type build.

Figured Maple is a wood you should see to select, the grading standards and variety of looks you get with different types of figure make it a must IMO. Grading standards are confusing/loose/not truely "standardized", vary with the amount of maple the dealer sells/ not to mention vary with their customers typical wants. By wants I mean, say saugsage quilt is the favored look, then closer to that figure gets top grade, although smaller popcorn sized quilt may be what you prefer and thus would hold higher value to you. Also when you get into instrument wood, patterns come into play. Some grade to what is in the pattern. General wood dealers would grade to the whole piece. Since grading is to a degree based on fullness, strength, and uniformity this may make a board that has wain outside a "pattern" lower grade to a wood dealer, but higher to an instrument wood dealer.

I get from your question, you are trying to make sure you get what you want in terms of looks and pay the proper value for that wood. My strong suggestion would be to use a dealer that allows you to select from pictures, and deals in a lot of maple. Go have a look at Chuck's offerings-link. He knows maple, he is a great dealer, and is very good about pricing fairly. Maple prices are rising rapidly, so I would get your wood now.

I personally buy, mill, and occasionally sell wood. I myself would buy from Chuck in a heartbeat. If I did not already have what I needed.

Peace,Rich

I agree 100% with you Rich......since unlike others, LMI doesn't give a customer pics of actual pieces to choose from on their site I'm asking for anyone who may have examples to share just to compare with the vendors that take the time and trouble to do so.

I agree 100% with you Rich......since unlike others, LMI doesn't give a customer pics of actual pieces to choose from on their site I'm asking for anyone who may have examples to share just to compare with the vendors that take the time and trouble to do so.

FWIW, it wouldn't make much difference what others may show. These figured woods vary a great deal from bit to bit, and what they sold 1 week ago may be nothing like what they pack up today. LMI is a solid company, and I would not put down their integrity, but as I mentioned the figure and grading(even if LMI grades with outstanding integrity) may not be what you prefer. If you want examples maybe LMI is the place you should be looking to. Ask if they would take pictures of the sets they will be sending for your approval. I am not sure if they will do it(that gets expensive), but it is better than trying to look at examples from others that may have no direct bearing on what you will recieve. My gut tells me most of the people on this board are not buying electric tops from LMI, as there are several other dealers that seem to pop up more frequently(so I am not sure if your going to get much responce here), but best of luck with your search and I hope you find the set your after :D

Peace,Rich