Water Based Dyes

im thinking of a way to do a transition from a real funky piece body to a clear maple neck, without the traditional heel piece transition ;in a set neck;

so i was think ing if therye was a way sop in some colour like browns and some dark reds, into the neck pocket and on the neck itself prior to glueing;

tommorow i mgluing up the dyed test piece (maple to maple with a thick splash of dry dye)

and then carve a slope and sand it to fine

the idea would be to try to have a big stain blending the neck and body as opose to a glue line;

im mostly worried that the colour is just on the top and will be sanded away leaving only a dark glue line or nothing at all;

i guess i need a way to bleed the finish thru so it simulate carving into figure or spalting.

any ideas?

:D

I don't really know, but why not due a quick test on a piece of scrap?

I recommend glueing up the neck, then dyeing the wood. You can dye the whole back of the neck, or burst it so it transitions to a bare color neck. But unless you have two scraps of the same woods as the neck and body woods, and can dye THEN glue, I wouldn't go that route. This deserves a serious test to make sure you can glue over your stains.

yesterday i sopped on some dye (not stain; waterbsed analine)

today i glued and clamped them;

i was just wonderin if anyone out htere has had experience; im not counting on the result i want; just hoping;

and i plan on epoxing the join because the joint area on the body is stained from the spalting further down; and i thought it would look cool to geta colour runout mixing w/the natural staining in the transition;

im dumb; but just as curious!

Mmmm.. not dumb. Curious, yes. Ambitious, yes. But I worry that the epoxy will reject any coloring you try, if you choose to go back over the joint and touch-up or correct the colors. Good old fashioned wood glue will take coloring better without creating a colorless, white line between the pieces of wood.

When your test is dried, take some pictures for us to see how it turned out.