Custom Pickguard

I was inspired by a reader to make a solid body guitar with a crackle finish. I've found a solution for using plain spray cans of enamel to create the crackle in whatever color I want.

I'll post pictures soon.

However, I'm having a planning issue with the pickguard. Originally, the guitar was a Peavey Raptor or Predator with two single pups and one hum pup. I'm going with one hum pup so I'll need to get a new pickguard. No big deal, however I have two questions.

1. I remember seeing a DIY on how to make a pickguard out of trash can plastic, anyone remember this?

2. Any suggestions on crackling pickguard plastic? I think this might be tricky and not possible as crackle finishes are rather delicate if unfinished.

Anyone have any other suggestions on a pickguard to match a crackly finish?

Jef

1. The DIY you saw was probably the one on the main site about making cavity covers out of a trash can.

2. Maybe try laminating 2 sheets of plastic together in whatever colours you want and then engrave a crackle-effect into the upper layer deep enough for lower layer to be visible.

aidlook is right about the cavity covers. Those refer to the back cavities of the guitar, and you probably would want something stronger for a pickguard.

As far as making the pickguard, I know that 1/8" plexiglass is pretty solid and WILL cut with a dremel, but the results aren't especially pretty... That's my only experience with it. Wear a respirator.

As far as the crackle goes, you could just paint the pickguard to match your finish, then clearcoat it. It wouldn't be very difficult, just make sure that the clear you use is very hard. You can get clear that's specially formulated for custom painted car/truck wheels. Something like that should be fine.

block in the unused cavity so you can't tell the two singles ever existed, finsih the guitar and use a smoked acrylic sheet for a pickguard. The smoke is translucent and will make the shade of burst a bit darker. you see the guard and you see the paint, best of both worlds

I think I may have found the solution with 2 pieces of plexi. The thicker piece will go on the bottom and will have the same crackle finish as the guitar. The second piece of plexi will sit on top of the first and act as a small cover to protect the bottom sheet with the finish. Screws will hold both in place. Since I don't have a bevel cutter for my router yet I'll use a grinding wheel set at an angle to create a small angle to the edges. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Overcoming how to cover the crackle finish and not leave it exposed was my biggest issue. Using a plastic paint will work and the same crackle technique on the guitar will help. It won't be a perfect match, but from 20 feet you won't be able to tell that much.

Any thoughts?

Jef

seems like a lot of work. This is what you do, cut your pickguard out of acrylic-not plexi, scuff it with 600 grit and primer it and then paint it like normal. then just hardcoat it with the same stuff you are hardcoating the guitar with. The Scuffed plexy will accept the primer nicely and will not grow or shrink like a lot of ABM plastics.

Yep zyon, that looks like the way I'm headed. I got the basic shape but not exactly what I was looking for. Problem is protecting the crackly finish on the pickguard may require at least a thin plexi sheet.

Jef

What he and I have both said is that a clearcoat on top of the crackle on the pickguard will be easier, cheaper, and just as functional. Don't waste the time doing another plexi sheet, just shoot clear over the crackle on the pickguard and it will be protected.

I thought I would add some pictures of the project. I was inspired by Avenger63's attempt to do a crackle finish on a guitar. Little did I know that it was going to consume me. I decided to post some pics of the whole process.

I started with a free guitar a former relative left in my mom's garage. Specifically a Peavy Predator or Raptor or something. It was made in Korea. it was like all the other guitars I have found at a low price, black and a white pickguard. There are tiny deposits of rust on the pickguard screws probably from it's time in Pascagula where they lived before Katrina. I'm guessing it was left there and then collected later. Still don't know if it plays.

dsc_0126.jpg

I decided to try a heat gun to strip it, then thought again after leaving a burn through the sealer under the wood. I went with aircraft stripper. Worked much better but left tons of pock marks in the sealer. Hey, it's a cheap Korean guitar.

dsc_0195.jpg

Then I put wood filler in it to smooth it out. Love/hate that stuff. It's like clay but does a great job. I did a better job just using my fingers to smooth it in.

dsc_0198.jpg

After a coat of poly to seal it all up, I used Krylon red and black to do the solid colors underneath.

dsc_0199.jpg

Now here's the most important part. I couldn't find the crackle combination in the colors I wanted. Most mediums are for water based paints. I found one from Rockler Woodwoking called General Finish Crackle Medium out of Wisconsin that would work with enamels. It was VERY specific that it had to be enamel paint. I have no idea why. I tried with the Krylon - which must have some kind of latex in it, and it only worked with cheap black enamel paint.

dsc_0220.jpg

dsc_0221.jpg

So I need to get the pickguard right so that it will blend in well with the finish.

Jef