Change The Color Of A Guitar

It seems every guitar I own is black for some reason. After I'm finished with my two in-progress guitars, I want to paint one of my black guitars red.

Should I just go over it with lacquer thinner until the lacquer is gone then pain and apply lacquer? Or should I strip it down to the color, repaint and lacquer. Or should I sand off the lacquer and then paint and lacquer?

Jef

Edited by jlarremore

Well, Jef, I've done different methods. I think sanding down to the original color is a good idea. It should act as a primer and won't leave you with pock marks or holes like a chemical stripper. A heat gun may go down too deep for a quick color change. So maybe sanding is the way to go?!?!?

( chirp ) ... I've resorted to talking to myself.

Jef

Yes, solid, and thanks for chiming in. I'm going from black to red. I've found I really like Krylon's colors. Say what you want about lacquers, a good old can of 3 dollar spray paint is great. I'll give the 600 grit a try and then go down to a simple red. Should be a quick weekend re-finish.

I tried aircraft stripper and it worked well, but it ate through the sealer under the pain. Yikes. But I liked how well it worked.

Jef